easy craft idea {driftwood fish}

Who’s planning to spend some time at the beach this summer?

cas-abou-beach-curacao

Or, more accurately, that I’m not really the lay on the beach type … I’m more of a scour-the-beach-for-seaglass-and-driftwood girl so I can whip them into easy craft ideas.
driftwood craft ideas

And this easy craft project is proof that there are projects that can take less than 15 minutes and have a huge presence in a room.

I’m super excited to be participating in a series called Craft Lightning, where a group of bloggers is putting together a great resource of beautiful craft projects that can be completed in 15 minutes or less.

Now, if you count the time I spent meandering the beaches of Curacao, this project doesn’t qualify.  But if you are a driftwood collector and have a backdrop and a glue gun and a spare 15 minutes, this is the project for you.  :)
driftwood craft project

The first step is picking a backdrop for your craft.  It could be a frame with craft paper in the back or a painted piece of wood or anything, really, that fits with your style and is flat.

I had just the perfect thing for us … another piece of driftwood.  :)  It started as a 16 foot long board I found at the beach in Curacao and last year made into a desktop.  After a quick chop down to size I had the perfect backdrop for my easy little craft project.
driftwood fish craft project backdropPlease just ignore everything else in that picture, this side of the house hasn’t gotten much attention since we moved in.  :)

And I’ll take this opportunity to apologize to our neighbors who have no idea I have a blog for whipping out the circular saw after 9pm.  My bad.  :)

Once you have your backdrop, plug-in your hot glue gun and layout your pieces of driftwood in the shape you desire.

I knew I wanted a fish shape, but how about a tree shape for Christmas or a heart for a child’s bedroom or even a monogram would be fun!  You’re really only limited by the sizes and shapes of your driftwood.
easy craft projectThen just glue each piece one at a time.
driftwood craft project And hang.
driftwood fish craft ideaWe just screwed eye hooks into the back of the wood and secured a heavy gauge hanging wire, then screwed a heavy-duty hook into the wall … we have wood slat walls, but depending on the weight of your project you should probably look for studs.  :)

Super easy, right?!?!
simple craft projectAnd this piece is 37 inches wide and 25 inches high, not only is it the perfect statement piece for our new board and batten wall, but I love that we can create something so unique and meaningful to us in less than 15 minutes and for nothing more than the cost of the hot glue.

And if you’re wondering exactly what ‘statement’ this piece is making I think it’s “I love driftwood, and fishes and chippy wood and pizza” … or something like that.  ;)

Update:  I finally discovered the art of whitebalance.  Sorry for all of the yellow-ey pics above.  Geesh!

easy diy driftwood fish

If you, too, love driftwood check out how you can make your own driftwood Christmas tree, driftwood and seaglass Christmas craft or other random driftwood craft ideas.

And be sure to check in with Angie of Country Chic Cottage and Carolina of 30 Minute Crafts to find so many more easy craft ideas that you can do in 15 minutes or less.

Do you craft with beach finds?  Or would you rather just lay on a comfy beach chair soaking up the sun?

Comments

1. Kristy says

I’d never mind the after 9 saw…do it myself…not often but yes I do! I’m so happy to finally get the tutorial…I have limited amounts of driftwood…being landlocked…but i can take some old wood pieces, beat them up, distress them and get almost the same effect (I think) :) Gonna try. Love to the furry babies!!
    Kristy

• says

Yes!! And I think the different colors on the wood are fun, too!! The girls are doing great! Although not really a fan of all of the power tools. Nothing a few extra treats can’t cure. :)

I love this. So simple and so beachy. Now I just need a trip to the beach so I can collect enough driftwood to do this for myself! Thanks for sharing. ~ Angie

I love the way you used the driftwood here to make your fish sign, Karah. I checked out the other, too, the tree is great and the signs, wreath, all of it!

Love it love it love it! I saw you on Sand & Sissal’s FB page and I’m so glad I did. This is such a cute project! Thanks so much for sharing with us.

Debbie

• says

I just tried to comment on your blog and got this message: Spam Free WordPress could not retrieve the password from the server. It may be necessary to do one, or all, of the following. Turn on the Old Password Fields option, turn off Nonce Security, or to turn on Generate Comment Form.

I have no idea what it means so I will tell you here that your son’s half bath is awesome and that planked wall is perfect. Great tutorial on accomplished that look!!

Karah I soooo love that fish! I live near the water and collect driftwood all the time… I am loving your driftwood fish!
    Susan

I love this!! We have tons of driftwood on our lake beach in front of our house… I have collected a ton already with my little boys but I am going back out this weekend looking for more!! Thanks for the tutorial. I am pretty strictly a fast craft gal too.

Well I already told you how much I love the fish but I will tell you again. I LOVE this fish. I think I could live with driftwood art alone and that’s saying a lot because I have a lot of art.

That fish is a sweet idea! I have some driftwood/maritime decoration in my bathroom, so it would fit perfectly there! …and I have still some driftwood, maybe it’s enough for a fish, I’m going to try it :)

Love, Midsommarflicka

What a beautiful project. I love it! The drift wood pieces you found are so unique and different. Love how it all looks together. Now I want to go “fish” – ha – my bag of drift wood out of the garage :)

Karah, I’ve seen this all over. I’ve pinned it. I’ve thought it was darling. Just getting over to say how flipping cute (and YOU!) this is. Thanks for showing it off at Simply The Best! You have just been diy’ing your little heart out. Hope the Summer is treating you well so far :) Shannon

11. John says

Love driftwood art. Just want to touch it’s weather softness, as will kids. Please remove or bend over the sharp nail sticking out of the largest piece of blue wood.

• says

Hahaha, I hear you, luckily I have my piece hung 5 feet high. I’m one to love the rusty nails and will keep them whenever possible, for me they just add to the individual character of the piece. Good reminder to keep these pieces hung high, thank you for that!

1. [...] Driftwood Fish Tutorial at The Space Between Blog “Who’s planning to spend some time at the beach this summer?  Would you believe it if I told you that we moved to Key West in January and I haven’t been to the beach once?  True story. That could have something to do with the fact that we moved here from a Caribbean island with the most beautiful water on earth.  Or, more accurately, that I’m not really the lay on the beach type … I’m more of a scour-the-beach-for-seaglass-and-driftwood girl so I can whip them into easy craft ideas”…. Read more [...]

2. [...] So, for a fun little break in the action, when Toni asked me if I’d like to participate in her Summer Camp link party I said “heck yeah”!  Design Dazzle is a great blog for anyone looking for ideas for things to do with your kids for all seasons.  Last winter I shared an easy little upcycled Christmas tree craft idea and for part of this Summer Camp series I shared my super easy craft idea, the driftwood fish. [...]