how to get rid of mold {for $2 or less} no scrubbing required

Now, that title doesn’t really leave much to the imagination.  I was trying to come up with something fun and came up with squat.  :/

Because seriously, when I think of mold it’s hard to be all fun and jokey and hahaha.  That stuff sucks!  There’s really no two ways about it.
how to get rid of mold

But lucky for us (I’m not sure in what world this situation constitutes lucky exactly) we’ve actually had to deal with mold on more than one occasion.  So I’m going to give you a little play-by-play of what has worked really well for us in the how to get rid of mold category of DIY.

I’ll start by saying that we’ve never had to deal with mold inside.  So, in that arena we are lucky.  And that means that everything you are about to see is specific to how to get rid of mold on the exterior.

A not really interesting point of reference is that I have pretty severe asthma.  As in have been hospitalized a few times … once I was in the hospital at the same time as my 96-year-old great-grandmother and my situation was so bad she was the one who had to come visit my room.  So I’m pretty sensitive to breathing concerns, and you might know I’m a huge fan of upcycling ideas, so I’m always looking for ways to stay green.  With all that said, sometimes you just have to go with what works.

Here’s how to get rid of mold for $2 or less with no scrubbing required.

It’s worth mentioning here that I’m not at all claiming to be an expert mold remediator (not a word?) … just sharing what has worked great for us.  :)

Supplies:

- Spray bottle from the dollar store, similar to this one
 - Bleach from the dollar store, any generic kind will work
 - tap water

Step 1 - Add about 3-4 inches of bleach to the bottom of your spray bottle and then fill the rest with water.  I tend to go heavy on the bleach, and I’ve heard a ratio of a cup of bleach to a gallon of water will work.  You really can’t go wrong with supplies that only cost $1.  I’d rather be sure the mold is dead than skimp on the bleach.  But that’s just me.

Step 2 - Spray like crazy.  You can consider this your forearm workout for the month day.

Step 3 - Repeat steps 1 and 2 as needed.  :)  I actually like to let the bleach do all of the work.  Over the course of a week or so I sprayed all around the exterior trim of the house 3 -4 times.  Keep in mind, we are new to this house and clearly no regular exterior upkeep has been happening.  Most situations would most likely take only a spray or 2.

After Time One
how to get rid of mold After Time Two
how to get rid of moldAfter Time Three
After Time Four
how to get rid of moldAnd there still hasn’t been any scrubbing.  That’s my kind of cleaning folks.
how to get rid of mold

Step 4 (optional) - Scrub and rinse.  This is where the no scrubbing required part comes in.  You may be tempted to scrub the surface and put a little more elbow grease into it.  Consider that your bicep workout for the day.  :)  But for areas that are high and out of reach, don’t sweat it.  Leaving the bleach there will actually continue to kill any residual mold and help to prevent future mold growth.

Update:  After a couple of months when evidence of mildew starts to show again it only takes a few spritzes to clean it up again.

Of course, in areas that are within reach, especially with children or pets around, you want to be sure to rinse the area with a hose so the bleach isn’t ingested … but the whole scrubbing part is still completely optional.  ;)

A few tips I’ve learned along the way that may seem common sense to some of you:
- When spraying vertical areas spray from the top down, the drips will pick up a lot and then you can catch the rest on your next spray round.
- Stand up wind … kind of no brainer … but it took me a couple of times to get it.  :)
- Wear a respirator or mask over your nose and mouth.
- Wear glasses to cover your eyes.
- Wear ragged old clothes because they will end up looking like this.
how to get rid of mold*cute puppy not included
- Take off all cheap jewelry … or it will get tarnished from the bleach.
how to get rid of mold*nubby finger sold separately

And that my friends is how to get rid of mold for $2 or less with no scrubbing required.  And how nice is it to actually cross something off of the good old curb appeal ideas check list?  I will attest that the answer to that is “very nice”.  :)

Update:  We’ve also added a little fun to the front door, created a small yardscape on our little Key West lot and I made a little house tour video before we started remodeling the inside.  Come stare and gawk.  :)

How about you?  Have any of your own tips for easy and inexpensive cleaning?  Is it warm enough where you are yet to be sprucing up outside?  Planning to tackle any curb appeal ideas this year?  Do tell.

*post contains affiliate links

Comments

1. beth says

Have you tried using ‘Magic Erase’ cleaning pads? They really clean mold well. I think it would be easier than having to spray 4 times. I usually spray with a heavy duty cleaner (like bleach) once then use these pads. I have a exterior fence like yours and it works really well (without killing off my garden that lies net to the fence). And I too have severe allergies. The Magic Erase pads are hard to find outside the USA so I will bring them with me when I travel as they do wonders on all sorts of jobs.

• says

I LOVE magic erasers!! They really are a necessity … love the idea to travel with them! We only had to spray 4 times because of the build up left to us from the previous owners. With regular upkeep I’m looking at a quick spray every now and again. And it’s the no scrubbing part that I love so much. :)

• Jo-Anna Fotinopouolos says

I Live in canada and I just emailed the company and requested a sample or two..Funny thing is I think they put me on a mailing list because I keep receiving them every few months..lol.. I now have a drawer full.. because I live in an apartment.

• Sarah Spencer says

CHLORINE BLEACH IS INEFFECTIVE IN KILLING MOLD
      FOR THESE REASONS:

(1) The object to killing mold is to kill mold at its “roots”. Mold remediation involves the need to disinfect wood and wood-based building materials, all of which are porous materials. Thus, chlorine bleach should not be used in mold remediation as confirmed by OSHA’s Mold Remediation/ Clean Up Methods guidelines. The use of bleach as a mold disinfectant is best left to kitchen and bathroom countertops, tubs and shower glass, etc. (What is Mold?, About Mold, Mold Facts)

(2) Chlorine Bleach does kill bacteria and kill viruses, but has not been proven effective in killing molds on non-porous surfaces. Bleach itself is 99% water. Water is one of the main contributors of the growth of harmful bacteria and mold. Current situations using bleach re-grew and regenerated mold and bacteria twice the CFU counts than were originally found before bleaching, within a short period of time. Bleach is an old method used for some bacteria and mold. It is the only product people have known for years. The strains now associated within Indoor Air quality issues are resistant to the methods our grandmothers employed to clean-up mold.

(3) What potential mold ‘killing’ power chlorine bleach might have, is diminished significantly as the bleach sits in warehouses, on grocery store shelves or inside your home or business 50% loss in killing power in just the first 90 days inside a never opened jug or container. Chlorine constantly escapes through the plastic walls of its containers.

(4) The ionic structure of bleach prevents Chlorine from penetrating into porous materials such as drywall and wood—it just stays on the outside surface, whereas mold has enzyme roots growing inside the porous construction materials—however, the water content penetrates and actually FEEDS the mold—this is why a few days later you will notice darker, more concentrated mold growing (faster) on the bleached area.

(5) Chlorine Bleach accelerates the deterioration of materials and wears down the fibers of porous materials.

(6) Chlorine Bleach is NOT registered with the EPA as a disinfectant to kill mold. You can verify this important fact for yourself when you are unable to find an EPA registration number for killing mold on the label of any brand of chlorine bleach.

(7) Chlorine bleach off gases for a period of time. Chlorine off gassing can be harmful to humans and animals. It has been known to cause pulmonary embolisms in low resistant, and susceptible people.

(8) Chlorine bleach will evaporate within a short period of time. If the area is not dry when the bleach evaporates, or moisture is still in the contaminated area (humidity, outside air dampness), you could re- start the contamination process immediately and to a greater degree.

(9) Chlorine is a key component of DIOXIN. One of the earliest findings of dioxin’s toxicity in animals was that it caused birth defects in mice at very low levels. This finding led to dioxin being characterized as “one of the most potent teratogenic environmental agents”. The first evidence that dioxin causes cancer came from several animal studies completed in the late 1970′s. The most important of these, published in 1978 by a team of scientists from Dow Chemical Company, led by Richard Kociba, found liver cancer in rats exposed to very low levels of dioxin. This study helped establish dioxin as one of the most potent animal carcinogens ever tested and, together with the finding of birth defects in mice, led to the general statement that dioxin is the “most toxic synthetic chemical known to man.”

• says

Thank you for the detailed info, this post is simply about getting rid of the appearance of mold, not about killing it. Thanks again.

• Patti says

Actually the title of your post is “How to get rid of mold” not how to get rid of the appearance of mold and if all you want to do is get rid of the appearance, pretty much ANY cleaning product would work, so that makes your post very misleading. Also recommending that people continue to do something extremely harmful to humans, animals and the environment in general is pretty irresponsible. Why not just appreciate that you’ve learned something new and follow up with an educated post on how best to eradicate the mold and why chlorine isn’t the best method because it’s so very dangerous.

• says

Hi Patti! I do appreciate that not everyone likes to use bleach, if we come across the mold issue again and I try something different I will defintiely be sure to post about it.

Hi Karah! Glad the bleach worked on the nasty mold. White vinegar mixed with water also works for mold and will spare you the fumes. The vinegar smell is kind of stinky but the smell dissipates quickly. My son has a history of asthma too so I know how important it is to keep the mold/mildew away. Happy cleaning!

• Kim DuBose says

Agreed, and the vinegar will not hurt the environment and your family, but bleach will. Bleach was listed as a hazardous chemical in 1990 by the EPA. The NRCD has a lot more information about bleach alternatives, as does Metro here in Portland, Oregon.

• Mom2Feebs says

Bleach breaks down easily to salt in the environment. Should be fine. It’s hazardous to drink, however…and not good for your skin…but it’s fine for this type of application.

• Rachel says

Fyi- when dealing with mold, bleach and vinegar (most liquid) actually make the mold spores release into the air. Its better to dry wipe what you can and remove, seal w special paint, or consult mold expert for the rest. In the very least wear a special mask and use proper ventilation!

• says

I practically start sneezing at just the idea of mold spores. :) Any scrubbing will definitely release the spores … and you are so right about wearing a mask and ventilation. We can’t wait to update the exterior paint as well, that will make such a difference on so many levels. Thank you so much for visiting.

• Elliot says

Mold spores are incapable of “running” from anything on their own. However, scrubbing mold or disturbing a serious mold infestation will release spores into the air… it just takes outside force to make this happen.

• Elliot says

Bleach WILL kill the spores, but it can create other toxic compounds in certain cases – depending on the type of mold.

• Suzanne says

My friend is an expert in cleaning flood desaster leftovers. That includes a lot of mold. He says first you have to clean the mold with a neutral soap like hertel. It seals the spores in and kind of shoke them. Then you can freely spray your bleach to kill what is left. Tought it might help

• Elliot says

Experts in mold that are up-to-date know that bleach is a BAD choice. By far, the most dangerous part of mold is not the spores, but the mycotoxins some molds produce, which are extremely dangerous and cause serious health problems. Most doctors are unaware of this, unfortunately. When bleach comes into contact with these mycotoxins, it creates even more toxic compounds. Ammonia is a FAR better choice, since it will not only kill the spores, but will help to neutralize the mycotoxins to some extent, while bleach will not.

• Elliot says

Your friend is NOT up to date on the current knowledge on mold. Bleach can make the mold toxins of some molds more dangerous – and they are already deadly. He needs to do his homework.

The top of that railing looks so black i actually thought it was painted that colour until the picture where you pointed out that you hadn’t sprayed it yet! Bleach is the best for killing mold. We have a rental property and it smelt moldy when we bought it even after removing the basement carpet. I sprayed bleach solution even though you couldn’t see any black and it got rid of the smell so there must have been mold there. We have magic erasers in Canada too, but don’t scrub your walls too hard or it takes the finish off sometimes!!

4. Debbie says

The north side of our house needs cleaning from mold every year, and we use our heavy duty power washer. I love that machine! It does a fantastic job, but it keeps coming back. I’m wondering if I spray this solution on the siding after power washing if it will stop it…like forever!?! Bleach is a wonderful product…I use it so much but didn’t think to try it like this! Thanks, Karah!
    Debbie :)

5. leticia tomás says

Well, I have the same problem with south and north sides of my house here in Buenos Aires next to Rio de la Plata.
    I use bleach outside and inside the house. Just spray it. Don’t scrubb because the “esporas” “fly” an fix themselves in another place. Bleach kills them.
    Leticia.

That darn mold. We lived on the Northern Coast of California and the mold would grow on the inside of the windows and the bathroom ceiling so I used this same recipe for my mold patrol. I wore a shower cap too to protect hair along with my 1980′s huge glasses so I looked like I should be on an 80′s sitcom but I got rid of the mold.
    Traci

I have the hospitalization level of asthma too. Last year after 10 days I wouldn’t stay another day. I had Easter supper at home with my family. So I was puzzled about you and bleach until I read the painter’s respirator, then it made sense. Allergic to bleach so I use vinegar. The back (north) side of our house is going to need more than that though. My pewter siding looks green! I wonder if a bottle like fertilizer comes in to hook to the hose could be filled with bleach and mixed with water as you spray the house? It goes all the way to the peak. YUK!! Good luck with yours.
    Janet

I’m a bleach girl, too. I would consider feeling sorry for you having to clean all this exterior mold. However, I know this mold is a fruit of living in glamorous island and beach communities. I just can’t muster up any sympathy… :)
    Glad your getting your chores accomplished and you’re reconnecting with your stuff!

9. Ginny Bennett says

I work in a medical lab and we used to clean our countertops with a 10% bleach/ water solution. You need to make up fresh solution every two to three days, as it will lose its disinfecting strength.

10. Shannon says

I to have vinyl siding and issues with mold. I use one of those 2 gallon yard weed sprayers that you pump with bleach/ water solution to do all the hard work! :) I would suggest that if you are doing long or tall walls that you start spraying the solution from the bottom up. If you don’t get good even coverage or there is a break in application there will be streak staining. Which is not pretty, then requires scrubbing! Have fun with your new home!!

11. Julia Bulia says

I have lived in many places but northern California is the only place I have lived where I get mold on the ceiling above my shower and on the wall above the shower. I hate it!! I have been spraying it too. For a while I tried the vinegar thing but my husband always complained about the smell on the weekend when I would spray after we were both finished with the shower. Be careful if you try the vinegar/water solution outside because it may kill plants. Some people use it as a weed killer instead of using harsh chemicals. I haven’t tried that yet but it must be true, I read it on the internet : ) You can actually spray a weak bleach solution on plants to kill some fungus and stuff but I wouldn’t go more than 10% for that purpose. I used to spray bleach around my rose beds to kill spores on the mulch around the roses after treating them. I also usually splurge a little on the sprayer–there is one in the cleaner department at Wally World that sprays extra far and it’s not that much–either $2.50 or $3.50. I’m surprised that bleach fumes don’t aggrevater your asthma, but you wear a mask right?

• says

Yeah, I love using vinegar when I can, but it really didn’t have the same impact on the mold outside. I love the idea of using a really diluted bleach on mulch fungus … I’ll have to keep that in mind. Thanks! (Oh, and definitely a mask!)

I have found from recent experience that a pressure washer works wonders on mold and mildew! And I like the borrowed one better than one you would have to rent, for obvious reasons. It would blast the mold right off the first time. But if you’re going to spray bleach, I would get a pressure sprayer that you pump and it gives you a steady stream for a while.

Hi Karah,
    I have found that Yes – there is an environmental impact to using bleach and concerns of usage in the vicinity of plants or gardens. However, the chemical concentrate can be diminished by saturating any ground cover or vegetation with water prior to applying any harsh chemicals for cleaning purposes. This would include cleaning mold from roof tops of homes or sheds and garage areas. Just hit the drip line real good with water from the hose before cleaning and this will certainly dilute any harsh chemicals used for removing mold. Great Read!

14. Tish says

after using the bleach, spray with a mixture of oil of cloves with water (I love the smell) it keeps it from coming back… it really does work.

While this is a good cosmetic fix for the outside of your house, or a or temporary fix for other places. If you are looking to kill all of the mold (especially for health reasons), bleach will not do that consistently. It will kill some of the mold, but not all of it. The active ingredient in bleach is Sodium Hypochlorite, which is very effective in removing the discoloration of mold, but can (and usually does) leave the microflora that will enable the mold to return in exactly the same spot forcing you to not only repeat the process, but worse yet allowing the mold to grow back and affect your health as it does.

They do however make products specifically to kill mold. I googled and found something called Moldstat. It is EPA approved, kills mold and sanitizes. They advertise their cost at $1.40 / gallon.

16. Olivia R. says

The thing is…bleach does not kill the mold, it only “bleaches” it, so you don’t see it. After you finish each treatment, you might want to follow up with an undiluted vinegar spray. Just pour it a spray bottle. The odor goes away pretty fast.

17. Ginny B says

In our hospial laboratory, we used to use a 10% bleach and water solution to wipe down contaminated counters, so it is pretty good stuff for mold and bacteria. However, use it up as soon as possible because it is only good for a few days. We no longer use it in the lab because we need stronger stuff to kill the bad guys (TB, HIV, etc,)

18. diane vallejo says

My understanding is that bleach doesn’t kill the mold, it just bleaches the color away and that the mold is, in fact, still present. Which is why the mold returns rather quickly – because it never actually went away.

19. Laura says

Bleach DOes not kill mold. It Depends on the what the mold is on….on wood Dawn liquid soap and warm water mixture kills mold. Bleach only bleaches it. Years worth of continuing education classes for my state insurance license taught me this…. Also check with the EPA site. Bleach only bleaches it so it appears gone.

Good tips Karah. I’m a bleach fan also, although you’re right the fumes can get intense if you are not careful. I’ve learned that bleach does not absorb well into wood. In your example, it looks like the mold was still on the surface of the paint, so the bleach probably killed the mold. If the mold gets into the wood fibers, you either have to lightly sand it or use a commercial product that helps the bleach absorb below the surface. Great blog btw.

21. karen says

Do you have any ideas on how to get rid of mold on the bathroom ceiling?? At least I’m assuming that’s what it is. It started just above the shower and is now migrating throughout the bathroom. Help!

• says

I would definitely try mold if you can stand the fumes, where a mask and open a window if possible. If the bleach fumes will bother you maybe start with white vinegar, that is supposed to be a natural cleaner. Good luck!!

• Thel says

Why would you tell anyone to use bleach when several very good sources say that bleach does not kill the mold and could make matters worse? There is a paint that is mold resistant— I wonder if that will help ward off the mould after it has been properly obliterated?

• says

I know, isn’t mold the worst?!?! I have read so many conflicting reports from many reputable sources and bleach is the only thing I’ve found that work well for us. We are doing an exterior project and using a resistant primer product right now, I definitely hope it works.

• says

Karen, is your ceiling tiled, or is it drywall? If the mold is on tile, it should be fairly easy to remove with bleach, vinegar, or borax. If it is in the drywall, you might have a bigger problem on your hands. In this case, as long as the mold is on the surface of the paint, you could probably still get it off. If it has crept into the drywall, then you will probably have to remove some drywall in order to get rid of it. Good Luck!

22. Tammy says

Sorry, NO, Bleach does NOT kill mold (explains why you had to use it 4 times :*( and honestly it just spread it :*( USE Borax, it works, is relatively cheap and no where near the smell or damage to your lungs and hands as bleach ~! DO THE RESEARCH, you’ll see what I mean……

23. Sabrina M Bowen says

Bleach does not kill mold! It simply strips it of it’s color, making it HARDER to properly clean away and more likely to infiltrate other areas of your home. White Vinegar kills mold, but you do need to scrub it away if wish for a clean surface. Remember, just because you can not see something – doesn’t mean it’s not there!

24. Karen says

One thing that should be mentioned is if you have animals, make sure you have plenty of fresh air flowing through. It’s one thing for us humans to deal with the chemical smells even when diluted. But it affects animals even more, especially birds. I have dogs and a bird so what I do (since I loathe scrubbing like you LOL) is take a fan and put it in the bathroom to help circulate the smell out with the vent on and close the door. I put an old rolled up towel on the floor where the fumes can come from under the door. You will still get a very faint smell but it goes away in 5 minutes or so. I’ll let the fans run for about 30 minutes to be on the safe side. I like using vinegar too but for some reason, here in the high desert of Cali where we are based temporarily, it just doesn’t cut it like bleach would. However, using baking soda in sinks, tubs and toilets then pouring vinegar on top of it is a great way to clean the pipes/drains in this little rental we have!

• says

Thanks for the tips Karen! I haven’t had the same luck with vinegar that others have either. And it sounds like we need to start a “no scrubbing allowed” club. ;)

25. kim says

I have used straight bleach on my grout and though it took surface off it came right back…used straight vinegar and baking soda, and peroxide…

26. Tom says

Warning to all using bleach…if you hit metal, it will oxidize it. IE. Galvinized nails, iron railings, aluminum flashing, etc. $2 of bleach can do quite a bit of damage if you aren’t careful.

• Tom says

It starts the oxidation process, which rusts the metal, and can do it even on galvanized metals that usually don’t rust. Once it starts it never stops, so if you have nails in your siding, or aluminum flashing, too much bleach can start them rusting.

27. Elliot says

For MINOR surface mold, this is fine. But for certain more serious mold infestations, this is a bad suggestion. The most dangerous molds produce mycotoxins, some of the most powerful toxins ever found. One such mold is stachybotrys chartarum, the deadly toxic black mold known to kill, on which using bleach will actually create even more toxic compounds. A better choice is ammonia, which will kill the mold AND help deactivate the mycotoxins as well. I am a mediator on a Facebook page dedicated to helping people who have been exposed to mold, as well as a survivor of long-term exposure to stachybotrys chartarum myself.

28. Rebecca S says

Just read through everything here and didn’t see anything on Tea Tree oil. I have fought mold in my bathroom for 20 years. Bleach was my cleaner of choice but the mold always came back in 2 to 3 weeks. Wiping it also spread it. BUT someone told me to try the tea tree oil. It worked great. Use REALLY hot water (not boiling so the oil will mix) in a spray bottle with 1/4 teaspoon of tea tree oil slosh to mix and spray it really killed the mold and has lasted much longer going on 6 weeks now and still watching :) . If you have asthma not sure how you will react to the oil it does have a strong oder. It’s natural too. I am all for 100% natural but don’t be fooled some natural things are toxic also (look at the very mold we are fighting and poison oak :) ). So be careful out there. Good luck

29. Jessica says

I know what you mean about breathing problems–I have weak lungs and tons of allergies and sensitivities as well, and I always end up living in older apartments with mold. My problem is, I am also horribly, horribly allergic bleach, especially chlorine bleach, as well, so I’ve been experimenting with some non-bleach alternatives. Tea tree oil and white vinegar are very effective made into a spray like this as well, if anyone has the same problem! And they are much more non-toxic.

Bleach is one of the worst triggers for allergies, asthma and even auto-immune diseases and learning difficulties. I NEVER use it in my home – even outside. There are natural products made from ingredients that God created (not man) and a company I shop from figured out to put them together to accomplish everything we need to do. Mold is serious business and the bleach does NOT KILL IT. It simply hides it. Why not get rid of it? Besides bleach was created as a byproduct of chemical warfare development. Does that sound healthy?? Private message me or email me for more details. By the way the company I refer to has been “green” for almost 3 decades and the products are cheaper than dollar store brands.

• Elliot says

Yes, bleach DOES kill the mold… that is not the issue. As you mention – it can trigger breathing and other problems in people who are sensitive to it. As I mentioned earlier, it can worsen the toxicity of some mold toxins the mold itself produces. But it DOES kill mold.

• Elliot says

Be very careful, Carol… Tea Tree oil is great and it helps get rid of mold to some extent. But don’t get a false sense of security with it. Firstly, it won’t penetrate porous surfaces where mold may have penetrated the materials. And if it is one of the toxic molds that produce mycotoxins (mold toxins) like stachybotrys chartarum which produces deadly mycotoxins known as tricothecenes,.. Tea Tree oil will NOT help neutralize the mycotoxins, which are well known to cause serious neurological problems and even death.

31. Tamie says

I’m really surprised you can use bleach with asthma, I can’t…… I go directly into an asthma attack with bleach. Is There Anything Else You Can Use?

• says

Hi Tamie, I hear you about the asthma, outdoors with a mask works well for me. I’ve seen some other great ideas in the comments of this point that might work well for you. Would love to hear if you try any of them!

Have you ever tried a norwex enviro cloth? My son has horrible asthma, so I’ve reduced the amount of harmful and toxic chemical cleaners by about 90% with my Norwex products. I now clean virtually my ENTIRE house with just water and my norwex enviro cloth. HIGHLY RECOMMEND! Don’t even need the vinegar anymore. The Norwex enviro cloth is my go to for all of my tough jobs! http://www.jolinethornton.norwex.biz

33. janie says

I place Viva paper towels (viva are more like cloth than bounty or other paper towels) wherever there is mold (white vinyl exterior doors and vinyl window frames) and then spray 50-50 bleach & water so the paper towels stick to the material and the bleach doesn’t slide down and dry out & the mold spores are contained by the paper towels. I go back 30 min later with a mask & rubber gloves and as I collect the paper towels I fold them in on themselves to collect the bulk of the mold and use the damp towels to wipe the doors & windows. In the shower I dampen the paper towels with vinegar, lay them on my shower & tub walls & spray more vinegar on them and leave them 30 minutes and the soap scum just wipes off.

34. Trudy says

Be mindful that the bleach you buy at $$ store has less beach in it. I can’t remember the %. I just know that I had brought some for work. The head scientist pointed that out to me. He wanted to use it to disinfect a piece of our pulmonary testing maching. He had discovered the treatment we were using cause his lips to swell, using bleach did not. He figured out a new ratio of water to the bleach. So $$ store can be used, but that might be why you have to repeat it four times.

35. Zainoe Suleman says

Thank you for this really cheap mold solution. I live in a thatched roof house and have to sell up due to the mold build up that is completely invisible. My asthma and eczema has deteriorated badly since moving in here. I’m going to use your household-hint-of-note to keep our new premises a healthy environment. Thanks again

• says

I hope it works for you. Work in small sections as bleach can affect people with asthma, I like to avoid the areas I spray for a few hours after just to be safe.

36. CARLA says

A bars friend found in the cleaning section of Walmart works great for anything it’s like comet but better

37. Debora says

Also a mold problem in our bedrooms here:-(
    I found the est way to kill mold for a longer time is to use a spray bottle filled with water, some vinegar and a few caps of tea tree water soluble oil!!! Tea tree is known as an anti fungal, anti viral, air purifying oil. I find it leaves the room smelling fresh and clean too! :-) works better than bleach in the long run.

38. Tina says

Bleach actually eats away slowly at the grout in your bathrooms etc over time. And to use on glass is a big no no. It also eats away and you end up baking more of the soap scum into the area. Called pitting your glass.

39. anna says

Hi I live in Australia Queensland and was just wondering what is a good mold cleaner for a bathroom roof as I have to keep cleaning it as we get bad mold so I was wondering if anyone has any solutions to kill the mold

• says

Hi Anna! I’ve seen some great ideas in the comments, but I don’t know of anything personally that will kill mold. Good luck!

40. lisseth says

i know some people might say umm the odor!!! but believe when i said the dawn is not only for dishes, and of course vinegar mix and a bottle is my new best friend!! cleans better than any cleaning product i have ever bought!!

41. Lynda Swinney says

Kara, I just wanted to express my admiration for the graceful way in which you respond to all of the comments. Apparently this subject is capable of eliciting very passionate opinions and you have had to read through a lot of differing views. Kudos to you for your gracious manner. We should all be so polite and patient with each other.

• says

That’s so nice of you to take the time to comment, Lynda! I know bleach isn’t for everyone … some feel more strongly about it than others. :)

• elena says

omg is everyone a freaking expert or google research freak? light the wood on fire that will kill it all!

1. [...] The $2 Miracle Mold Remover 0000 Related PostsHomemade Pest Repellent and Anti-fungal Garden SprayHow To Remove Scratches From LeatherHow to Make Fabric Softener CrystalsHow To Make All-Natural Deodorant (Stick or Spray) Filed Under: Clean & Organize Can’t Find What You’re Looking For? [...]