upcycling ideas {Valentine’s Day ice cubes}

upcycling ideas - heart mini muffin tin ice cubes

*an explanation for this awesome graphic can be found at the bottom of this post

Just because we’re living out of a hotel seemingly just waiting for the perfect house to come and find us so we can buy it already doesn’t mean I can’t get a little Valentine’s Day inspiration at the thrift store, right?!?!  And because I’m always looking for upcycling ideas for thrift store finds, when I came across this heart mini muffin tin for $0.49 when I was big thriftin’ my first thought was “ice cubes!”.

More specifically I thought red, heart shaped ice cubes would be the perfect accompaniment to any Valentine’s Day beverage.

heart ice cubes

I started with a pint of fresh raspberries, added a touch of cranberry juice and puree them in a blender. (Actually, I called in the big guns and Chef Peter helped me since I don’t actually have a kitchen these days.  Thanks Chef!)
upcycling ideas - use a heart mini muffin tin to make Valentine's Day ice cubesWe opted to not bother straining out any seeds, the advantage of using a really good quality blender that pretty much purees all the seeds, too.  :)
upcycling ideas - use a heart mini muffin tin to make Valentine's Day ice cubesThis goes without saying, but the very first step was giving that mini muffin tin a solid scrubbing or two.  I’m all about upcycling ideas using thrift store finds, but I am not all about upcycling germs.  But, I do eat in restaurants and trust someone else to wash the dishes that make my food.  A few scrub downs of this mini muffin tin and she was good to go for my own use.

Then just pour your puree in the tin and freeze.
upcycling ideas - use a heart mini muffin tin to make Valentine's Day ice cubesMan, it’s nice to have someone to pour the puree so I can take a picture.  :)

And a bartender to make up a tasty martini for me to try my new creation.

Audrey’s Martini
2 oz Effen Black Cherry Vodka
.75 oz Absolute Vanilla Vodka
.25 Absolute Citron Vodka
sugar rim
raspberry puree heart shaped ice cube

Yum, right?!?!  Well, I don’t have to ask you, I’m the lucky one who got to try it.  And it is perfect with an added little touch of raspberry.  To get the cubes out of the tin I just let them thaw maybe 5 minutes and then used a plastic knife, worked like a charm.

And for the non alcoholic drinkers and kids in your life … it’s pretty perfect for any clear beverage really.  Stir it up after it dissolves and you’ve got a tasty little pink concoction with just a hint of raspberry flavor.
upcycling ideas - thrift store heart shaped mini muffin tin used as an ice cube tray for Valentine's DayWhat a fun an easy little surprise to put a heart shaped ice cube in your loved one’s beverages for Valentine’s Day.

What tricks to do you have up your sleeve for next week’s day of love?  And now that I think about it, this hotel livin’ ain’t half bad.  Thanks again to Peter and Audrey for your help!!  Next week, “how to make a bed like a pro” by the housekeeping department.  ;)

And check out our other upcycling ideas here.

Oh, and the graphic … my buddy Kelly and couple of her buddies are having a fun link party for us all to mock show our love for our loves.  I really couldn’t pass up the opportunity.  Find out more here.

And I might also be linking this post at Bower PowerTip JunkieBNOTPDIY Show OffPositively SplendidHome Stories A to ZHouse of HepworthsShabby Creek CottageThe 36th Avenue and Savvy Southern Style.

Tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

58 Responses to upcycling ideas {Valentine’s Day ice cubes}

1. Hahaha! I love your hey girl image, that’s so perfect! :) And those raspberry ice cubes are such a sweet, beautiful idea!

2. Karah, how creative you are! Those ice cubes are really pretty and would be good for any romantic occasion.
    Great idea!

3. HA!!! LOVE your “Hey Girl” So cute Karah :) The ice cubes are darling too!

4. Wow…those are great!…and I can just see you now…sipping those drinks in paradise!

5. Thistle says:

Karah,

What a really cute idea….I love anything with raspberry!

blessings,

6. Well they should go viral….they look delicious! And lucky me….I work part time at a liquor store!! Can’t wait to try that drink!

7. Erin says:

They are wonderful! I am trying to help them go viral right now!

8. I think he’s right. Totally going viral. Do you deliver?

9. Debbie says:

What a cute idea, and love the recipe! The Hey Girl party will be fun.
    Debbie :)

10. Miss Kitty says:

Hi Karah! I think your handsome guy is right…those fancy ice cubes are going to be huge! Thanks for sharing your ice cubes and your guy with us at the “Hey Girl” party.

11. Forget the house search, I’m thinking you should just stay in the hotel! You have your own chef and your own chef’s kitchen and your own bartender!!!

:) Linda

12. debbiewestbrooks says:

Hey girl, I think I want to try some :)

13. Tina says:

Yeah…what he said! Handsome man, Karah!

14. Christine says:

Very cool. Totally going to go viral ;-) . Now I just need to find some little heart molds…….

15. Yum yum delicious! Pinned it, so you are well on your way to going viral:)

Jessica

16. cassie says:

ba ha ha! love it!!!!!! the ice cubes are cute, too.

17. Yeah they are! That drink looks so good…it’s 5:00 somewhere, right? ;)

18. Coley says:

You are too clever! I love how you combined the link party with a recipe.

19. How cute, and I agree that they should totally go viral!!!

20. Love the meme and the raspberry ice cube idea! We are also living in a hotel these days due to flood damage at home and seriously the way the ladies make/change the beds with such efficiency and speed is amazing. And to think how many times they do it a day, they could probably give a lot of guys working out in the gym a run for their money in an arm strength contest!

You are so right!! I think it is one of the hardest jobs out there … we’re actually down to getting service one day a week … I figure I don’t make my bed everyday at home, I probably shouldn’t get used to it here. haha

21. Suzan says:

Hey Girl – they look great!!!!
    Have a wonderful weekend with your wonderful guy – this was one of the best parties
    every participated in!

22. Love the idea of using raspberry puree for these! And the martini sounds delicious…. thanks for sharing :)

23. malia says:

Great find Karah! I was just thinking about heart ice cubes (for reals)! Looks like a wonderful drink too!

24. Pingback: cheap {and easy} Valentines Day ideas - the space between

25. Yummy! Great idea! We would love it if you would link up at our new linky party: Two Girls and a Party Hosted by:
    Dana @ This Silly Girl’s Life
    Parrish @ Life with the Crust Cut Off
    We hope to see you there!

26. Love the supportive meme! lol! Love the raspberry ice cubes. So cute!

27. From one ice cube fan to another, I am totally going to make these! Cheers!

28. Totally what my husband would say! On another note, if you get this then I had no trouble commenting!! Have a great week girl and good luck continuing the house search!

29. Those ice cubes are so cute and they look delicious and your Hey Girl…too funny!

30. hey girl…those raspberry puree ice cubes are totally awesome! ;) thanks for sharing with us Kara!!

31. Emily says:

I’ve been seeing so many kids crafts, it’sabout time someone posts a Valentine’s Day recipe that I can REALLY take advantage of. Love this, you go girl.

32. great idea! love it! …and YUM! :) You should enter your photos from this project into Craftbaby’s Hearts Craft Challenge :-) http://www.craftbaby.com/contests/43/those-tiny-toes-hearts-craft

xo,