sea glass and driftwood Christmas craft

Is everyone all linked up to our crafty Christmas party already?  Don’t forget to link up your favorite Christmas craft from this year here … the party is open until Friday right here!

Now, as you read this I am up in the stone cold north, working on projects that have absolutely nothing to do with the holidays, but I wanted to give you the rundown of this little sea glass and driftwood Christmas craft that you saw on my mantel.

A great project for the kids big enough to use the glue gun, too.
christmas craft

Knowing this would be a decoration only for the holidays I actually just used double sided tape to tape a piece of cream colored craft paper on the front side of the glass in a frame.

In the new year I can remove the paper and tree and store it for next year and the wedding pic of me and my love will be there ready for the spotlight again.  :)

And making this festive little craft is as easy as 1 …

… 2 …
… 3.

I just used needle nosed pliers to bend some small gauge wire into the shape of a star.  I happened to have gold wire on hand and with a little hot glue it proved to be the perfect tree topper.

Once your craft paper and new sea glass and driftwood tree are secured to the front of the glass, just put it all back in your frame and then … what’s probably the hardest step …

… finding the perfect spot to display it for the holidays. :)

I like the pops of unexpected color the little pieces of blue and gray add … kind of like ornaments.

And I think she looks good nestled on our DIY floating shelf beside our random acts of kindness advent tree.

And I added a few teeny tiny pieces of sea glass right to a few pieces of the driftwood to give it additional dimension.

You can see the full Christmas mantel here.

seaglass and driftwood Christmas craft from the space between

Update: You can find my other upcycling ideas here, like an easy craft idea: driftwood fish, a driftwood Christmas tree and 20 perfect pallet projects.

What do you think?  Do you craft with nature? Don’t you just love a simple and stylish Christmas craft idea?  Are you ready to link up to our crafty Christmas party?  :)

Comments

I just love your little tree – it’s the perfect touch of coastal Christmas charm :-) I wish I had enough beach glass & driftwood to make one. I guess I could buy a bag of glass…. or go to the ocean for a week and do some beachcoming :-) I like option #2 WAY better!

• says

Thank you so much Kelly! I am totally enamored with sea glass right now … last year it was driftwood, this year sea glass. I say you definitely need to go to the ocean to get in on the fun!!

I totally love this! Sea glass is my favourite, but hard to find in the frozen lake up here at this time of year :-( Thank you for sharing and hosting and I’ll see what I can come up with before the 14th….time is ticking away…

Your talent blows my mind! Most people would look at sea glass and driftwood and say, summer/beach decor only. You take it and make it into something so ADORABLY Christmas. You’re awesome and I’m completely envious of your creativity!

• says

Thanks so much Karen … I think sea glass is my new favorite natural item right now … maybe because the island seems to be running out of driftwood! Hopefully you’re feeling great … I think of you often … all positive thoughts for you and that little bundle to be.

• says

Thanks, Karah! I’m actually feeling pretty good, relatively speaking. I got sprung from bed rest last Tuesday! I’ve been so busy trying to catch up with all I couldn’t do while confined for a week and a half during Christmas preparation season that I haven’t been doing too much blogging though. But the house looks less like a dump, and there is an end in sight to the handmade present list, and my son almost has the new pair of pants he so desperately needs, so life is good!

I love this project! Thank you for visiting Marty’s Musings and my scrap wood Christmas tree. We like a lot of the same things it seems! Have a blessed Christmas!
    Marty@Marty’s Musings

5. danandmariel says

Very creative! I’d love for you to share this or any of your great ideas at the link party going on now (and every Saturday – Tuesday) at ‘Or so she says …’ We’ve also got an exciting giveaway going on now that includes a chance to win a BlendTec. Hope to see you there! http://www.oneshetwoshe.com

What a lovely sea glass Christmas tree! I couldn’t imagine that it can be turned into something really unique. Thanks for sharing us your lovely craft. I’d love to see more of your work.

7. Jen @ Driftwood Gardens says

Best. Tree. Ever. So glad I clicked on your link over at the Knick of Time’s link party! Pinned this project and followed you by email, on facebook and pinterest. Can’t wait to check out more of your projects!