• diy projects, tips and tricks
  • our Key West space
  • upcycling ideas
  • most popular
  • holidays
  • Curacao


master bedroom bed

and then we started living like grown ups again

We did it!  After 2 years, 4 months and 14 days ... we don't sleep on the floor anymore! Side note:  For everyone asking about cleaning the new ceiling fan, I've officially done it.  Once the bed frame was all assembled I took a feather duster type of thing to the paddles on the ceiling fan and it worked great.  We sanded … [read it...]

master bedroom ceiling fan

does this ceiling fan make my room look big?

Hey there!  We're chugging along in the master bedroom and we're thisclose to moving back into that room for good. Don't worry that the curtains are too short and there isn't even a bed to go along with the headboard. The fact that it even resembles a room, where people might actually find solace at the end of the day, is a … [read it...]


do you feel it too?

You guys!  I really can't explain it.  But I am totally pumped for the holiday season this year.  I think it hits me different every year.  Does that happen to you? Some years the holidays just seem to come and go as pretty regular days, and then some years, like this year, I am just so into the spirit of the season I kind of … [read it...]


easy to install rolling door hardware

You guys!  This is one of those components of the master bathroom renovation that I have been not-so-patiently awaiting.  It's like the one thing that I have been anticipating the most, probably because I knew it had to wait until pretty much the end of the project.  And because I've had the hardware staring me down since … [read it...]

guest bedroom

simple MDF craftsman style trim – an update

Hey hey!  Hope you're having a great week.  I'm plugging away at sanding, priming and painting in the master bedroom and if you follow along on Instagram you know that we've added even more wood slat walls to this house. We're also going to have some niches for a few favorite photos on that wall between the bedroom and the … [read it...]

freestanding tub and wall mount faucet

the freestanding tub and wall mount faucet & taking senior pictures in Key West

Well, it happened. My first bath here. And it was glorious.  And no, I haven't been in the tub for the last two weeks.  We've been having a lot of fun with family visiting (7 people over 10 days to be exact) and then the week that was Fantasy Fest here in Key West.  If you don't know Fantasy Fest, google it, and don't blame me … [read it...]

monogrammed shampoo bottle in the master bathroom

those two other times I mismeasured

I'm beginning to feel like Roger Clemens in front of the grand jury talking about his history with performance enhancing drugs ... and his tendency to misremember. I have the same tendency to mismeasure. It's incurable. I don't really get it. It just happens. Luckily it is one of those things that doesn't really matter in DIY. … [read it...]

rain shower head and valve installation

trough style sink faucets and a rain shower head and valve, you know, the bathroom bling

There were many aspects of this master bathroom renovation that were really up in the air until they actually happened.  I'm not really the type to create a mood board and search for things that fit the design.  I tend to roll with the punches and make decisions as it all unfolds. But I just knew from the get go that we wanted … [read it...]

Creatively Christmas

Christmas decor and craft inspiration

Last month my friend Jen Rizzo helped spread the word about my new book and now it's my turn to return the favor. Jen is magical when it comes to all things Christmas so it is no surprise that she has written a book filled to the brim with all kinds of ideas, Creatively Christmas: Inspired Yuletide Decor. This book has … [read it...]

make a spa like diy wood vanity

DIY wood vanity in the master bathroom

Pretty much from the outset of this master bathroom project I knew I wanted to make the vanity because the space was tight and the odds of finding a piece that would fit perfectly into it were slim. Turns out the odds of me making something that was a perfect fit were slim, too.  But, man, did I try.  And it was looking so … [read it...]

sealing marble tile

cutting, grouting and sealing marble tile tips

Hey, thanks for all the great comments on the post about tiling a bathroom, anyone getting ready to tackle their own tile project can give me a shout if you have any other questions.  I definitely have all the answers.  Or something. I got so wordy about tile I had to separate these cutting, grouting and sealing marble tile … [read it...]