one crazy big outrageous announcement

Update: The book is now available for pre-order here.

DIY Wood Pallet Projects Book Pre-order

I’m writing a book!!!

You guys, I can’t even believe these words are coming out of my mouth fingertips.  I still have to take a minute to really let it set in every time I say it.

I’m writing a book.

My face may go like this every time I say it out loud.

joel and karah wedding picture

I am so excited about it I can hardly compose myself.  And then there are the moments when I really think I’m going to vomit because of the self-imposed pressure of it all.

A book.  A tangible, once-it’s-out-there-I-can-never-take-it-back, after-the-final-edit-I can’t-make-any-updates, compilation-of-ideas-from-one-moment-in-time book.

I want to do it so well, and make it so awesome and I have so many ideas swirling around I feel like I am in some kind of wind machine with 100 dollar bills flying around my head and I can only keep them if I can grab them and shove them in my bra pockets.

image source

And this whole process has been a whirlwind.  Like a tornado working at warp speed.  I have heard stories of the publishing process taking forever, but that is not the situation in my case.

Projected release date for this book is September 2014.  WHAAAAAT?!?!

As of Thanksgiving weekend I have been compiling a manuscript and organizing supplies and formulating a plan for book projects.  That’s right, it’s a project book … because I’m sure you were thinking it was going to be a novel.  ;)

When I told my mom it was going to be a book about projects to make with upcycled wood she said “Phew, I hear the family of the author of 50 Shades of Grey doesn’t read her books and I want to be able to read your book”. Then there may have been a joke about building a red room of pain out of pallet slats, but I assure you, that wil NOT be in the book.

This topic is one that I am so fond of I can’t help but throw myself into it full-force.  And even though a few snippets here and there will relate to things you’ve seen on the blog the projects will be brand new.  So I have been crazy busy working on secret projects and trying to keep the home renovation train a movin’ right along beside it.

Sure, it’s a bit of a bummer to see progress slow down on the house. But the reality is that this book opportunity couldn’t have come at a better time.  A couple of months earlier and we would have been looking at living like this through it all. (See how we raised the roof here.)

roof project progress

And now I can curl up on the couch and type out tutorials for some of the most fun projects I have ever made.

And right now my view is even a little festive.

living room Christmas 2013

Sorry to everyone living in bitter cold temperatures right now.  You might have noticed from that picture above that our temps have cooled enough so we can live with our windows and doors open and no AC.  Now that’s my kind of winter weather.  :)

And I have also decided that I need a lobster trap Christmas tree next year.

lobster trap christmas tree

So, with that all said, and some of our best friends coming for the holidays, and this happening over the weekend …

Go Patriots!

… I’m taking a winter blog break through the end of the year.

I feel like I should put a smiley face and frowning face emoticon here.

I just really hope you all have the best holiday season ever!

I’m looking forward to keeping my own sanity intact, and staying on top of everything I’ve committed myself to and having a few spare minutes to enjoy this, our first holiday season in the lovely Key West.  :)

But I sure will miss you guys.  :(  Thank you for all of the kind words regarding the loss of our friend, you guys always have just the right things to say to a girl. xo

But I’m leaving you with this awesome lobster trap Christmas tree.  So that makes it alright, right?!?! :)

lobster trap Christmas tree in Key West, FL

The projection is that the book will be about 60,000 words long.  That equates to about 40-50 blog posts.  Which right now equates to my brain being mush and my body being tired.

But my soul is incredibly thankful.

Here’s to 2014 being the best year yet!!

Can you seriously believe it’s mid December 2013 already?  Where did this year go exactly?  See you in January!!

If you’re looking for more you can check out all that we have accomplished so far on the house here, how much we’ve spent on it all here and for a trip down memory lane take a look at the scary before video here.  Oh the paneling.

Update: You can read more about the book process and how it all happened here.

Tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

52 Responses to one crazy big outrageous announcement

1. Congrats, my girl!! Cheering you on every step of the way… blessings to you and Joel this holiday season.
    xo Heidi

2. So excited for you – and glad your mom can read your book (unless you build a red room of pain)!

3. cassie says:

congrats!!! so excited for you!

4. How exciting!! Don’t let the pressure (self-imposed or otherwise) get you down! This is a huge accomplishment!

5. Wow! I’m thrilled for you! And very proud!
    Does this mean you’ll be too busy to come to Atlanta in July??

6. Dana says:

Wow! So exciting, Karah. Can’t wait to see it as it is a topic I am fond of as well!! Enjoy your break.

7. Congratulations! Here’s to mush!

8. Catharine Fox says:

Totally AWSOME! Congrats on the book. Love your Christmas décor!

9. Ally says:

Very excited for you Karah! Catch you in the New Year!

10. Wow, I was really enjoying this post until you had to insert the “Go Patriots” line. Weren’t those instagram photos taken at THE GAME THEY LOST????

Congrats on the Book deal. Can’t wait to buy it!

GO BRONCOS!

11. Wahoo! Congrats, have fun writing!

12. Wow! How exciting! Do you have to come up with all new material or are you able to use some of the projects that have already appeared on your blog? If it is all new material how will you keep up with your current level of blogging? Or will that need to take a back seat for a while? SO many questions… sorry! But I am so excited for you!

Thank you so much for being so excited with me! I’m putting together a post with some more details, all of the questions are fun, keep them coming!! Hope you all had a very happy holiday season!

13. Yay yay yay yay yay yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So, super duper excited for you! Make sure to announce when it’s on Amazon and I’ll get a copy:)

Jessica

14. Suzie McCann says:

A book? It will be fabulous! Congratulations!

15. bethbryan says:

WoooooohoooooooOoooooooooooo!!!!!! ROCK ON with your bad self! That is amazing my friend! I cannot wait to read it! If you go on a world tour be sure to add Birmingham and you can come visit me! :)

16. Susan says:

Karah, you are amazing! I am thoroughly enjoying sharing your experience in Key West. Now…a book!!! Wishing you a wonder-full Christmas, a peaceful heart, the best of health and prosperity in 2014.

17. chris aka monkey says:

wow karah i am a fan of yours and read all of your blogs…i will miss you but i am so proud for you..merry Christmas and will be waiting to see you in the new year xx chris

18. txvoodoo says:

Oh. Mah. GAWD. Yay!!! I will miss your posts. Nobody dos ‘em like you!

But YAY! I will buy the book!

And boo – you made me so jealous, remembering the Decembers I spent living in Florida, with the windows open. :D

19. Traci says:

Wow Karah what a wonderful opportunity. I am so happy for you. There are so many great things you can do with reclaimed wood. I will love to read the book when it comes out. I will also love following a long on your journey to publication.
    Congrats. It couldn’t happen to a better person.
    Traci

20. Yay Karah! Whoohoo for you! Have a great holiday.

21. Congrats Karah!…how very exciting!…I know it will be fantastic…and can’t wait to get a copy and you will have to autograph it!!!…:)
    Yes, winter is great in the Keys..yes, cold is when the A/C is not on…love the lobster trap tree…brings back memories!

I have to admit it was fun to talk to family and tell them how chilly it was down here at 70 degrees … it was 2 degrees at my brother’s. Merry Christmas to your whole family!

22. I was thinking BABY.
    and I was sort of right :)

Congratulation on your upcoming book!
    Happy, happy holidays to you, the hubby and the pups Karah.

23. Amy says:

Wow, Karah!!! That is crazy exciting and I am thrilled for you!! I’ve always wanted to write a book. Congratulations on such an exciting time! It’ll be great. :)

24. Congratulations! That is so awesome Karah! So happy for you!!

25. Woohoo how exciting, congratulations on the book!

26. WHAAAATTT!!!! That is SO SO EXCITING! Can’t wait to hear more!

27. Congratulations! And now I can say I knew her when …

:) Linda

28. Pingback: how this whole book deal went down the space between

29. Katie says:

OMG! Karah–that’s amazing news!!! Congrats!