Day #10 – the tip that wasn’t

I’m going with the theory here that even though something doesn’t work, you still need to know about it.

Have you heard that if you drill holes near the bottom of your plastic garbage can it will prevent that awful suction effect as you’re trying to get your bag of garbage out?

I tried it.

It didn’t work.

That’s my “SERIOUSLY?!?!?!” look.

And I tried it with just the inner plastic bin on the ground to make sure it wasn’t something about our outer can preventing the air from going into the holes I drilled.

No luck.

Now, if you don’t fill your bag full it might work.  But if you try to fit as much as humanly possible into each garbage bag like we do up in here, skip this tip.

I’d love to hear any little tip fails you’ve experienced.  What a let down when you think it’s gonna be something cool and it ends up being a dud, right?!?!  I even made a video of the problem and then drilling the holes in the can with plans for a grand finale finish because I thought this idea was so simple and could make such a different. #wasteoftime

BUT, tomorrow, you guys, genius is happening.  I just discovered something that has me so excited I’m not sure how I feel about myself.  So, of course, you NEED to know about it!

31 things you need to know

Comments

I was very disappointed when denture cleaner did nothing to clean out my old bottles. I might think about gluing the plastic inner bin to the outer bin with some hot glue. That might keep it in place but you could always easily pry it loose.

2. Kathi says

Here’s the most surefire way I’ve found to overcome the trash can suction problem, assuming you’re using plastic trash can liners that tie at the top.
    1. Loosely tie the bag closed.
    2. Tip the trash can onto its side.
    3. Slide the bag out. 99% of the time it slides out with no suction problem.
    4. Untie your bag, throw a few more items into it, retie and dispose.
    I hope this helps.

3. Jessica says

Thank you so much for trying this for me. I’ve been dying to, but don’t want to deal with any leaks on the floor if the plastic bag fails, so I haven’t been brave enough to try. (with 3 kids, you never know what’s going to end up in your trash can)

4. Connie says

The easiest way to remove a trash bag liner from a bin, is to double line it. Line the trash bin with TWO trash bag liners and remove and replace the inner bag as needed. The plastic on plastic makes the inner liner slip right out without any of the suction problem and you have the extra protection against leaks. Promise it works!

5. Micheline Landry says

I tried a few “great tips/ideas”. I dyed my hair with coffee. No luck. Stubborn grey maybe? I made air fresheners with baking soda and essential oils. They only smelled for five minutes. I soaked my feet in a mouthwash concoction and found that a simple hot bath works much better to exfoliate my feet. Still trying things tho!

6. Bambi Berkowicz says

By looking at the pic, I’d say that you and I have the same trash can. Mine works beautifully. I would like to suggest that you remove the black bin from the metal casing, place it on the floor, and THEN your bag will come out easily. Mine does. It’s the black bin that has the hole in it and if you don’t remove it from the metal one, the suction will still fight you. I hope this works better for you. I love my trash can because of this and I never thought I’d find myself touting the qualities of anything that had to do with garbage. (shaking my head, rolling my eyes, and sighing…)

7. Patti says

I keep the trash can lined with paper towel (only replace if the bag leaks and soils them) and my trash can doesn’t suck…. I also use ground ginger sprinkled in the bottom of the can to help control odor.

8. Mava Leighty says

Don’t bother to try cleaning your toilets with Coca Cola; or with denture cleaner; or shining and removing tarnish from a brass sink with ketchup. Thanks for your non-tips and good other tips!