our shed is a thrift shop

Hey hey!!  How goes it today?

One of the most fun things I’ve been able to do since closing on this house is sift through all kinds of goodness that was left in our back yard shed.  You know, our big back yard.

vintage finds from an old shed - it's like our shed is a thrift shop

Admittedly it took me much longer to get to where we are today than it would have, say Joel.  As may have been pointed out to me a time or two.  ;)

But I like old junk and sifting through it all made me think that our shed is a thrift shop.  And who doesn’t like to shop for things they’ve already paid for?  ;)

There’s a cool pair of shoe forms.

vintage finds in an old shed - feels like shopping in a thrift shop

There’s a bread tin, an old Key West calendar and a couple old springs.

vintage finds in an old shed - feels like shopping in a thrift shop

There are three perfectly not matching green ceramic things.

vintage finds in an old shed - feels like shopping in a thrift shopAnd these brass things.

vintage finds in an old shed - feels like shopping in a thrift shop

And these glass things.

vintage finds in an old shed - feels like shopping in a thrift shop

And these old, rusty things.

vintage finds in an old shed - feels like shopping in a thrift shop

There’s this bin.

vintage finds in an old shed - feels like shopping in a thrift shop

And this tin.

vintage finds in an old shed - feels like shopping in a thrift shop

And these cool old pins.

vintage finds in an old shed - feels like shopping in a thrift shop

And then there’s this.

vintage finds in an old shed - feels like shopping in a thrift shop

Pretty cool, right?!?!    Any idea what that last thing is?  I think the rusty tools are cobbler’s tools, maybe?!?  To go with the shoe forms?  Whatever they are, they are sure to find themselves moved from shelf to shelf and made right at home around here in their old home.

Comments

From all my time spent around yachts (ha!, but I did grow up around boats) port hole covers typically have hinges. Have you ever walked a landscaped street or other that had up lights installed in the ground to highlight trees or architecture? Those lights are covered by very thick round glass with a heavy duty and extremely weather proof metal rim / frame and are bolted to the light canister, thus the holes around the frame. That would be my guess for this cool item. Will look great hanging inside on your wall next to your retro script house numbers :)

2. Kristy Rohm says

I think its a port hole cover…..what are you doing with all that stuff???? Would love to buy the smalls from you for my jewelry making!!!! Seems you are having a blast!!

Ok. I think it looks like some sort of light cover for outdoor or marine lighting. Those shoe things are for keeping shoes in shape. We use them for golf shoes because they may have dampness from grass, and they tend to get tossed around. I LOVE those safety pins! I’ve seen other people find them thrifting etc, but I have never found any myself. Plant some succulents in those amazing vintage planters.

4. Kim says

My first thought on the mystery item is that it’s part of the housing for a marine compass. It may also be a cover for a light or a gauge. You could try taking some of that stuff to the East Martello Museum to see if they can identify it. The folks there are pretty knowledgeable about local lore.

5. Donna says

the larger pins look like horse blanket pins…do i need to bring an empty suitcase on my next visit to key west???

6. Dorothy Mooney says

I don’t know about the glass “porthole”, but I think on of the green ceramic planters looks like a McCoy, could also be USA. Not really valuable, but people do collect them.

That is some neat stuff! The last thing looks like a porthole but I believe it is a cover to an outside uplight. Many times they are along sidewalks or built into retaining walls.

8. Erin says

You could have a really cool wall with that old Key West calendar. Get some frames and make a gallery wall. Very jealous.
    Erin

Due to it being old, it can not be what my first thought was, but I’ll tell you what it reminded me of, one can buy these little round glass thingies {looks almost exactly like yours!} to install into your fencing – it is for your dogs to look through! Crazy but true !

I also go to thrift shops to hunt for good stuff that I can use but it is nice that you find these things from your own house. This can be a good DIY project. It is my hobby to create new decors using old items.

• says

I also found a vintage cutter thingy in the kitchen that made me think of you, I’ll have to take a picture of it for you. It’s a holder for tin foil, plastic wrap, etc and has built in ‘blades’. I’m definitely going to try to use it for something. :)

11. Key says

Karen have you thought of maybe taking a metal detector to your backyard or around your house. lol. Just think what you might find a bit under the dirt. Can’t wait to see what your treasures become. McCoy sounds right for your vintage planters or maybe USA. There are a few unmarked McCoys out there, but more USA’s

• says

Hahaha about the metal detector … we did dig up an old metal shoe form, seems to fit with some of the other cobbler related items … I was a bit worried it a foot skeleton at first … but now we have it displayed on one of the rocks, it adds an eclectic element to the yardscape. :)