what a difference a year makes

How is everyone today?  Happy Last Day of the Year!  Can you believe it?  I can hardly believe it is the last day of 2012.  Where did it all go? I remember last New Year’s Eve like it was yesterday … well, at the least everything before, let’s say, 10pm.  ;)  Kidding.

What better way to wrap up the year in a fancy little bow than to recap a few of our favorite projects and posts from 2012.

We kicked things off in January with 12 Days of Kindness and Imagining the Impossible by hanging a whole gallery wall from one screw.

We also made pallet word art …
pallet art tutorial

… spread some love in February with an easy little book page heart

… which lead to a book page covered file cabinet.
We updated a lot of Goodwill finds this year.  Floral print canvases to dog silhouettes
 … and sentimental dates number art. #iheartdatesandnumbers

In March we introduced the Pass It On Project.  All you have to do is make a little DIY gift for someone you’d like to say ‘you inspire me’ to, and ask that they ‘pass it on’.

April had us getting organized by upcycling what we already had.  Old jars embellished with sand and sea glass to help organize the desk …

… and goodwill finds updated to create a little $2 landing zone.

I am happy to report, although my husband doesn’t voluntarily use the landing zone, he does now know where to look for his wallet and keys.  One step at a time, right?!?

And one of my favorites, a few pallet slats turned into a storage crate to store canned goods in the kitchen.
pallet crate

And, because I don’t think there could ever be too many pallet wood projects … we made a pallet bed for our roof.  We accessorized the bed with pillow covers made from old shirts and DIY embellishments.

We also talked about how to make your own chalkboard paint, and how to make signs … and how to make a DIY dry erase board. Later on in the year we also whipped up a dry erase wall calendar.
wall calendar

This summer was big on this little island with the finale of the Bachelorette filmed here.  We shared insider looks at 3 of the houses used in the finale (Thank you again so much to my friends Susie and Marilyn!! xo) and also a list of 10 fun free things to do once you book your trip.  :)
And since DIY is what we consider a fun free activity, we made a floating shelf from scrap wood and then continued to decorate it over,
shelfand over,
fall manteland over.

And because reinventing something old is also our idea of a good time we snagged a set of old doors out of a dumpster and turned them into a coffee table
old door … took a long piece of driftwood and made it into a desk
old wood

and even took our neighbor’s yard debris and turned it into a fall pumpkin.
fall craft pumpkinAnd when we’re not DIYing, we’re traveling, sharing the foto friday series has been super fun for me and I can’t help but try to help everyone save a buck or two on your next trip.  :)

budget traveler's survival guide

Now, there really is so much more that we did, and it was all that much better because you were all here to share it with.  :)

To see the full project gallery just click here … and now just a little reminder of our very recent Christmas ideas.  Just click on the pictures for more details.

the space betweenthe space between
the space between  the space between  the space between  the space between

the space between

And Cheers to 2013!  Here’s hoping all of your dreams come true.  Now go have yourself a fun and festive night! xo

Tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

23 Responses to what a difference a year makes

1. Debbie says:

Fabulous projects you did this last year! Thank you for inspiring me…I’m looking forward to what you come up with this year.
    All the best in the New Year, Karah!
    Debbie :)

2. Wonderful inspiring ideas throughout the year. You were really productive and had fun too.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Audrey Z.
    Timeless Treasures

3. Forgot to say how much fun I had making the palm leaf pumpkin. I made three of them and have palms for more. Thanks for that idea. Love it.
    Audrey Z.

YAY!!! I’m so glad you made some … we are prepping to move and I’m really hoping the pumpkin makes it through the move, it would be a fun souvenir from here!! Happy New Year!!

4. Nancy Carr says:

It has been a joy for me to read your blog this year. Thank you so much for your inspiration and entertainment. Happy New Year!

I always enjoy all of your comments Nancy!! Turns out we are for sure moving this year … very soon actually … news coming on the blog tomorrow!

5. You had an amazing year – I love that file cabinet! Here’s to a fabulous and creative 2013 – cheers!

6. thistle says:

We were just planning New Year’s Eve tonight and it involves a lot of games and family and fun and movies! Here’s to a wonderful 2013! I love all your projects especially the dog sihouettes!

May your New Year be happy and bright!

blessings,

7. Happy New Year, Karah!
    Xo Heidi

8. Happy, happy New Year Karah!!! So thrilled I came by your blog this year and got to learn a little more about you. I love all these projects, but I missed the one on making crates from Pallet Wood! Definitely going back to see that. Have a great start to 2013. -K

9. I would like a spot on that rooftop pallet bed…are you serious? How amazing is that. So happy you did a recap so I could see all the fun stuff I missed earlier in the year. Looking forward to seeing what 2013 brings!

10. What a productive year you had! You did some awesome projects! I can’t get over that book page covered file cabinet, it’s so cool! Happy new year!

11. You have had a fabulous year my friend! Here’s wishing you and yours the best new year EVER!!!!! tons of hugs to my M&M furry team!!! Wish I was there to share some wine and goat cheese!!!! I am just happy I finally got on your blog…I just couldn’t get on it for hours but SUCCESS!!!!!!! : ) YAY!!!! hugs…

12. Roxana White says:

Great posts, all of them. I love the book page heart, but the file cabinet redo? So that was YOU!! I visited your blog so often from pinterest when I was looking for inspiration to redo my old file cabinet. That was before I understood the blog world, so I didn’t follow you. So glad to find you again so that I can add you to my blog list :) Found you on 4 You With Love Best of 2012. Looking forward to your future posts!

Thank you so much, Roxana! Isn’t Marilyn the best, so glad you found me from her party … I appreciate all of your kind words, heading your way now!! Happy New Year!!

13. You have brought me much joy in 2012….I am always in awe of your brilliant projects and creative ideas…they just make me smile…thanks for your friendship and I look forward to your “seeing you” in 2013….now did I see your name on the Haven list?….Happy New Year Karah!!!!

14. What a big year for you! Loved following along and I am resolving to comment more in 2013:)

Jessica

15. cassie says:

so many awesome projects! can’t wait to see you work magic in the next place! fyi for some reason this post showed up in my reader only today.:(

16. Anne says:

I enjoyed viewing your projects from 2012! Some I missed the first time around! So fun to be able to see these!Wonderful inspiration!
    xx
    Anne

17. Marilyn says:

Karah, you are so talented with such a great eye! You are definitely one of my “go to” bloggers for inspiration!