do it yourself coasters

You’d think I’m gearing up to host a dinner party around here.

I’m coming up with 5 inexpensive ideas to keep in mind when tablescaping.

And reminding you of the name card holders I made last year.

And even making new ones for this year.

And now, I’m making do it yourself coasters.

do it yourself coasters

But I’m not.  Gearing up to host a dinner party, that is.

I actually thought to make sisal chargers when I was putting together the tablescape.  You know I love a simple, rustic element.

But let’s get real here.  I don’t need no stinkin’ chargers!

But we definitely enjoy a drink or two, so sisal coasters equals brilliant idea for us!!

All you need: sisal, hot glue and scissors

How to: put a dab of hot glue on the end of the sisal and start rolling, hot glue every so often and keep rolling.

I’m not sure exactly what this next picture illustrates, but I took it so it’s only fair that you have to see it.  ;)

do it yourself coasters

Cut the end off at an angle and then trim the sisal stringy thingys.

do it yourself coasters

And if you’re me, you will burn your fingers.  Especially at that beginning step where you’re getting your coaster started around that first dab of hot glue.  Ouch!

But, I did end up using a unsharpened pencil to scrape off any glue that squeezed its way up to the top (or bottom) of the coaster.  I didn’t figure this out until I’d burned my fingertip trying to scrape off the hot glue with my fingernail about 56 times, though.

Please learn from my tendency toward idiocy.

I need hot glue finger tip protectors … and leg protectors … and feet protectors.  I just might have dropped the hot glue gun on my foot twice once. ;)

do it yourself coasters

The whole roll of sisal was about $5 and I used about half to make 4 coasters.

Wrapped in a beautiful ribbon these would make a great, inexpensive gift.  Maybe for a neighbor, or a housewarming gift with a bottle of wine, or for a co-worker.
do it yourself coasters

What do you think?  Are you a homemade gift giver?  Coaster user?  Sisal lover?

Tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

113 Responses to do it yourself coasters

1. Danielle says:

Karah, I love these. I think I’m going to need to make these! Thanks for the inspiration! x

They are really so easy, and we love them. It’s just that beginning part that gets kind of dicey as you’re trying to get the roll started before the sisal unravels and not burn off your fingertips at the same time. :)

2. Definitely the perfect gift I’d love to receive (as long as that bottle of wine was attached)!

3. They’re adorable! I always burn my fingers with hot glue. We should start a club.

4. Marilyn says:

Karah, these coasters are so awesome! So easy and so beachy chic! LOVE THEM

5. Julie says:

Awesome – adding another item to the DIY Christmas Gift List!

6. I also get myself with the hot glue, every stinkin time! Sometimes I think it’s better that way, then I can get those pretty fingertip calluses:) Pinning these, I love the idea of giving them as gifts!

7. Gina says:

What do you think? Are you a homemade gift giver? Coaster user? Sisal lover?

1. Love ‘me! 2. Sometimes if it doesn’t look too homemade. 3. Yes! 4. Really LOVE sisal!

8. cassie says:

hose are fabulous, karah! i love the natural look!

9. I love these! These would make great Christmas gifts!

10. Those are fabulous Karah! Love this idea ..

11. jewelsforall says:

Love the rustic look! I can relate with the burned fingers. This is definitely going on my to-do craft list.

12. I love to give homemade gifts. Maybe too much. Only use stone coasters because any others I have tried just hold water on them and then drip off the glass when I pick it up to drink from it. I tried making some from wine corks like I had seen on a few blogs. Project FAIL. I love sisal but have never bought any for a project. Might be addicting… I’ve got scars on my legs from making projects with glue guns while sitting at my coffee table.

13. katrina says:

Love them! This is probably a stupid question lol but what is sisal? Where can I get it?

14. Karah! I love these! So great and inexpensive! I love a good rustic project too! xoxo

15. Amy says:

This is DIY I can do! Pinning. :) Thanks man!

16. Karah…love these!…May I place an order!!! :) ….These are wonderful!

17. I like your sisal coasters! And I looove the way the red wine looks sitting on them! ;-) Take care of your poor little pinkies and toes. Yikes, that hot glue burns! Oh, you already knew that, right? :-)

18. Anne says:

LOVE! I love anything made with rope of any kind… :) These are so cute!!

19. Ashley says:

Great idea! love the look of these, especially for a rustic fall themed evening

20. Thistle says:

We always make Christmas presents for each other every year! This is such a fun idea! I love anything made from rope! I am thinking about making a wreath from rope :)

blessings,

21. Hey Karah, Do you remember my crocheted coasters? I like your sisal ones, too, maybe better than my really cheap (as in discontinued yarn cheap). But the glue gun doesn’t travel well, just can’t see me doing that in a waiting room, ya know?

I’m going to be taking crochet classes in January … I have to add coasters to my project list. I wonder if you could stitch the sisal together every few inches???

22. designchic says:

Oh yes, I am definitely as sisal lover and these are amazing…thanks for the DIY instructions!!

23. Catherine says:

What a great idea! And perfect in time for Christmas gifts!

24. Bj says:

Such a fun and easy idea … especially with Christmas around the corner :)
    Hugs,
    Bj

25. I LOVE these! They are definitely my kind of project, and the pictures are also really great! They would make a wonderful handmade gift!

26. Courtney says:

Awesome! I might actually get around to using coasters if I had these!

27. katrina says:

Awesome! Thank you so much!!

28. Shannon Fox says:

Holy Macaroni! I think I need to add a glass of wine to all my pictures from now on :)

These are great Karah, I know a few people that would love them!

29. katrina says:

Oh I most definitely will!! :)

30. Debbie says:

Lovely…I love this, have pinned it and will be making these for a perfect gift with a bottle of wine! Love that idea!
    Debbie :)

31. Super great ! So nice in fact, that I’d like to invite you to come link it up with us…. http://www.finecraftguild.com/party-35/ (or choose the halloween link-up party…

32. Kerry says:

Oh my mercy, are you participating in the 31 Days series at The Nester’s site??? Your blog is beeeeeeeautiful. You should be, if you’re not already!!

33. jocieopc says:

SOOOO pretty! I totally want to make these – would make great xmas gifts too. :)
    Would love if you came and linked up today!

34. Those are really cute; it’s a great DIY gift =)

35. These are so cute! My wheels are turning now….maybe matching hotpads are in order and placemats….oh….now I just need to get the supplies! Lovin’ this! : )

36. Jackie says:

Great idea Karah!…I would just like to suggest to readers that you add a circle of felt on the bottom because your recipient may have a table that scratches like mine!

Oooooh, the idea of felt could be a fun addition. I’m happy to say we’ve been using the coasters on 3 different wooden surfaces for over a month now … not a scratch in sight. But we’ve got to protect those scratch prone surfaces. :)

37. These are so pretty! I just love them. So natural and elegant, yet rustic. They go perfect with the red wine glass :)

38. Genius! Love this idea!

39. What a cool idea, Karah–you can never have too many coasters, and these would make a fantastic gift! Hope all is going well with you–the rains have returned to the Pacific Northwest, so I am getting busy with indoor projects and letting the garden do its own thing.

40. You had me a SISAL!! hee hee hee. Love these!

41. Lucy says:

Awesome…I made some of these for the Canvas Corp booth this summer…i used twine, I think sisal looks a little nicer…:)

42. Dana @ Cooking at Cafe D says:

Karah,
    Love this idea – just pinned it.
    ~ Dana

43. Pingback: DIY Project: Jute Coasters | rachelmaydesigns

44. Karah…these are fabulous girl!!!!! Love how they turned out! thanks so much for sharing!! ;) Bonnie

45. jocieopc says:

Hey Karah, Thanks so much for linking up last week at the Humble Brag. Make sure to check tomorrow to see if you were featured and link up some more projects. We will be giving away ad space for the week to one lucky featured blogger. That means thousands of page views a day! Hope to see you there! http://www.oneprojectcloser.com/the-humble-brag-link-party-3

46. Too cute! What a great idea and easy! Thx for sharing!
    Leslie

47. Pingback: Hookin Up with HoH #122

48. Love your coasters. I recently did some coiled jute, and I may have burnt my fingers a couple of times. :)

49. Hi Karah,
    Well the pain is certainly worth it because you have made one nice, beautiful, and unique coaster.

50. A Lapin Life says:

I love your coasters! It’s a great project.

Dee

51. Heather says:

This would be such a great hostess gift! A bottle of vino and a set of these coasters! Great if you are lucky to be invited to Thanksgiving Dinner next month!

52. missjonie says:

its quick simple and yet it makes a big impact thanks for sharing

53. Pingback: Craftori » DIY sisal coasters

54. Pingback: month in minutes {october 2012} - the space between

55. homastyle says:

Karah, Thank you for joining Homa Style’s Simple Holiday Gift Idea Link Party. It’s hard to come up with new ideas for gifts and you helped with your simple coasters. Thanks! Mark you calendar for the No Red Holiday Decor Link Party on Nov. 28. Plus the 12 Days of Christmas link party December 1st ~ 12th. http://homastyle.com/

56. Pingback: my wooden spool dilemma - the space between

57. Thank you very much for this awesome DIY! I featured this in my latest blog post (http://whitneygoller.blogspot.com/2012/12/baby-im-coming-home.html). Check it out and let me know what you think.
    Thank you for posting quality work.

whitneygoller

58. Megan says:

Love this idea! Thanks for sharing. :)

59. Tammy McLain says:

Thimbles make great finger protectors at times…

60. Pingback: The Space Between Blog Feature - Unexpected Elegance

61. Love your blog and this project with jute – so fun and summery! Just wanted to let you know I featured you in my roundup of jute craft projects here. Feel free to check it out if you want and hope you like it! : )

-Mel the Crafty Scientist

62. Pingback: 15+ Easy Rope Crafts

63. Pingback: 14 Rustic Crafts For Your Kitchen Décor

64. Pingback: Make Over House with Hot Glue Gun | Second Hand Home

65. Pingback: Trash to Treasure - Inspiring DIY Projects | For Women

66. fadwa davis says:

Looks great and all much fun for the kids. Where did you get sista from.

It is available at Home Depot and Lowe’s I know, I just saw some in our local K-mart, too. Would be a fun teacher’s gift, just watch those fingers on the hot glue. :)

67. nanci says:

Just a hint, but I always lick (or have some water in a cup ) so my finger is wet. Then your finger doesn’t burn when you press the glue :)

Such a great tip, nanci. I’m totally going to do that next time. And glad you’re going to make them, ours get daily use and still look great!

• nanci says:

Absolutely!! I’m going to add a piece of felt on bottom also! I’m just so glad you posted this!! I already have the large roll of sisal *happy dance*. and most coasters are not “absorbant”. I feel these will not only fit perfect with the “decor” but also be more useful than other coasters!!! so excited!!

68. nanci says:

And, btw, I cannot wait to make these for our nautical living room! Thanks!