fall craft {pumpkin}

Do you live on a Caribbean island where real pumpkins rot in about .2 seconds from the time you leave the grocery store?

Maybe you’re just looking for a new take on the old Halloween craft project? Or, maybe you’re like me and just love to take something natural and make it into something unique.
fall craft pumpkin

Like a pumpkin.

Out of palm frond leaves.
fall craft pumpkin

I used leaves from our yard to make my first fall craft, the easy peasy leaf wreath.

And I used my neighbor’s yard debris to make this little fall craft.  My pumpkin.

Truth be told, this was a little more involved than the leaf wreath, but nothing a determined hot gluer can’t handle.

I grabbed a neat looking dead palm leaf on one of our evening walks around the ‘hood, with no real plan in mind.  It definitely got an eye roll from Joel.

Total side note: Can I just say that Christian Grey would have a field day with Joel and I considering how often we’re rolling our eyes around here? Oh Lordy!

Ok, back to the dead palm.  And a puppy with really good timing.
fall craft pumpkin

I started by cutting off all of the leaves and soaking them in water for about an hour to give them more flexibility.
fall craft pumpkin

Tie a rubber band around the end of the leaves cut from the ‘stem’.  (This end will end up inside the top of the pumpkin.)
fall craft pumpkin

One at a time, pull the other end of the leaves around overlapping them in your hand.  This part that you’re holding will end up being the bottom of the pumpkin.

Continue, slowly creating a circle, filling in empty spots as you go.
fall craft pumpkin

fall craft pumpkin

fall craft pumpkinUmmmm, that’s going to be a pumpkin, right?!?!

Now, I didn’t have a plan when I got started.  So once I had all the leaves pulled around and had them all held together with my hand I had an interesting time perusing the blog room to try to figure out how to secure them all together.

Thank goodness for staplers.  :)
fall craft pumpkinStaple a couple of times in what is the center of the bottom of the pumpkin to hold all of the leaves together, snip off the extra length, hot glue more leaves in areas where the pumpkin looks sparse.

I didn’t take a picture of it, but hot glue the end that’s now inside the pumpkin, tied with the rubber band, to the center of the bottom.  Basically right onto your staples, to straighten it out.

Hot glue a small stick for a stem.

Twirl a few thin leaves around a pencil and hot glue around the stem for added interest.

And then enjoy your unique fall craft … and new take on the ol’ pumpkin.  :)
fall craft pumpkinAnd then put some Christmas lights in it (LED to be safe) and admire it at night.
fall craft pumpkinAnd then blog about it. ;)  And enjoy another practically FREE project.  Not sure what the exact cost of one staple and less than one stick of hot glue is.  :)

fall craft pumpkin tutorial

Or you could buy a lit grapevine pumpkin for $129 from Grandin Road.

And if you want to see the easy peasy leaf wreath, it’s right here.

And, for a little photo tour of our walk around ‘hood, click here.

And tell me what you think.  A fun take on an old original?  A unique spin on the pumpkin? Or best used as a fire starter?  :)

I am sharing this at Savvy Southern Style.

Tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

124 Responses to fall craft {pumpkin}

1. Definitely don’t use for kindling – she’s a keeper! Now if only I had palm trees in my yard! Pinning!

2. Nancy Carr says:

Karah, Love the idea. There are plenty of palm leaves here. This reminds me of the process I used many, many years ago to make corn husk dolls which could also be made with palm leaves. Love your ideas. You are the best. Nancy Carr, Vieques, Puerto Rico

3. Anne says:

AWESOME!!!! I really, really love this!! Great project.

4. Shannon Fox says:

I can’t believe you just whipped that up form a palm frond. Now THAT is talent and dedication to the art of pumpkin making :) )) Truly inspired.

5. Amy says:

So. CUTE!!! Pinning. :)

6. cassie says:

that is downright awesome!!!!!!! LOVE LOVE!

7. I’m a sucker for anything pumpkin AND for anything that casts interesting shadows when lit at night, so I love this. Don’t. have. palm. fronds. here. Maybe raffia could be used instead or even sisal rope if coated with a fabric stiffener.

8. Lisa Conforto says:

What a nice idea! Your pumpkin looks festive as any northern pumpkin. I also live in the tropical climate and I may try this as well….thank you for the inspiration

9. Gorgeous girl!! makes me want to come visit and gather some crafting suppiles!!!

10. This I LOVE!!!!! You are just so darned creative, who would have ever thought…a pumpkin from fronds! Only in Curacao. Hope you are well. xxoo

11. Adorable and SO creative!!! Keep it up girlfriend!

12. Vonda says:

Great job. It looks like something from Pottery Barn!!

13. Kristy Rohm says:

Ha!!1 Awesomeness again from my Curacao friend:) You continue to amaze me.! I have one palm tree that is not very big but it does have small fronds so I may be able to make a mini one! love to the fuzzies!

Kristy from Gawga!

14. OK this is officially my FAVORITE pumpkin of the year so far. I love it! It’s different and pretty and so cool. Great job!

15. That’s awesome Karah! I love it! So cute!

16. Now THIS is a pumpkin I can get on board with!! Too bad there’s no dead palm fronds lying around here in Georgia… I’ll just admire yours. And pin it. :)
    xo Heidi

17. thistle says:

This is such a great idea, Karah! I love a palm leaf pumpkin!
    Thanks so much for inspiring me today!

18. Karah,

This is just wonderful! Seriously clever! And absolutely NOT a fire starter …

19. If we had dead palm leaves on the ground around here, I would definitely pick one up and turn it into a pumpkin – what a fun & creative craft project! I love how it turned out, especially lit up with the LED lights :-)

20. I’m really loving the look of this pumpkin and this idea. And that it’s natural and free! Even better!

21. OH my gosh, so cute. People like you make people like me look like…I dunno…rotting pumpkin lovers or something. That looks seriously awesome. And I love decor that you don’t have to store from year to year, you know? Like, most fake pumpkins take up so.much.space. This is fabulous. Really.
    -Brittney
    http://smartgirlstyle.blogspot.com (my new home-decor blog; come on by if you like! But only if you lower your expectations. Like, super duper low…wait. Right about there is perfect. K, NOW come on by…)

22. Jeannie-JB says:

Well, I’m in awe – how many people can take palm leaves and turn them into a pumpkin? WOW! Found you at Savvy Southern Style!

23. Megan says:

Absolutely gorgeous and amazing!! I love this idea. Megan

24. Brilliant idea and gorgeous outcome! I love this pumpkin idea. Genius!!

25. kim says:

This is so cool. Love the lights shot.

26. Karah, my dear, this is awesome and a great example of using what you have! Don’t think I could ever be this clever!

Jenny

27. Anna Starner says:

You get the prize for most creative in my book. I love your natural pumpkin. I wonder if I could make on from pampas grass leaves? Might have to try this week end.

28. Pingback: 5 fall centerpiece ideas - the space between

29. This is awesome! Such a cute pumpkin!

30. debbiedoos says:

Seriously, Pretty darn awesome Karah! You were really thinking outside the box on this idea! Thanks so emuch for sharing with our party.

31. Laurie says:

This is so great! I never would have thought to do this. My Dad weaves palm leaves and I have know idea how he does it. I think I could handle this a little better! Thanks! Stopping by via Debbiedoo’s.

32. Home Decor DIY Craft says:

Absolutely fabulous : 100% recycled + 100% natural + free + easy enough. YOU are a champion! I love it. So, let me invite you to share your creation (and other ideas) at our linky party at http://www.FineCraftGuild.com/party : Look forward to seeing you there! ~ Rose

33. Wow, I would have never thought of this! It looks great made from the palm fronds.

Linking from Debbidoos,
    Ricki Jill

34. emily says:

Oh I love! That might be do-able for me here in Hong Kong. We don’t have pumpkins either. Or thy cost an arm and a leg at the store!

35. emily says:

just tried making this… my palm was different so it didn’t work… wahaaaa! So sad! Turned it into a vase arrangement :o )

36. Angie says:

These are incredible – makes me wish I still lived in Florida! Pinning right now :)

37. I must say that this is the most creative pumpkin I have seen….Karah…you are the best!!…Sending this to my sisters in Florida…they will be amazed as I am!!

38. Pingback: Palm Leaf Pumpkin

39. Pingback: Fall Crafts, Easy Canvas Art & Straightline Quilting Tips | Bonbon Break

40. Julie says:

Awesome! It never would have occurred to me to do something like that with yard “trash”. Thanks for sharing!

41. Rita says:

Cute, clever, free, and innovative. What could be better? It’s so pretty lighted.

42. You are TOO clever, Karah! So cute!!

43. Pinky says:

This IS the most creative (and awesome) pumpkin I have ever seen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Love it and am so gettig a palm frond next trip to Fl.! XO, Pinky

44. Shari says:

I love this – a lot. What a great DIY mind you have :) Living in the Pacific Northwest, I won’t be finding any palm leaves, but perhaps something will inspire me. Have a great day!

45. Really nice … WOW … I wanna make one. Just need to go find, beg, borrow or steal a palm leaf.
    Very clever idea.
    Audrey Z. http://audreyzumwalt.blogspot.com/
    Timeless Treasures

46. I love love love these! Seriously, one of my favorite pumpkin crafts! Pinned :)

47. Pingback: 15 Pumpkin Pleasers

48. theboldabode says:

I don’t have the painful experience of living in the Caribbean! Hahaha.. But I do so LOVE that totally out-of-the-box pumpkin. It’s crazy!

49. Pingback: 29 Cool Fall Craft Projects To Do

50. What a gorgeous idea, Karah–love that you used what you had and turned it into something unique and so beautiful. I love your last picture with the pumpkin backlit–pumpkin glamour! “I’m ready for my closeup, Mr. DeMille . . .” says your pumpkin as she smiles seductively for your camera!

51. Karah!!!! This is awesome. Just awesome. I love love love it. I have some willow branches I am wanting to make a pumpkin out of – this helps me think of how I might do it. – and now I know what I want in my next shipment from Curaco . .

52. Brilliant! Beautiful!

<3 Christina at I Gotta Create!
    Wildly Original linky party is open.

53. I adore this. I adore you. I adore your blog. Thank you SO much for linking up at Happy Hour :)
    Jaime

54. antiquechase says:

what a great project. I will never look at a palm leaf as trash again! Great craft project for the classroom too!

55. Lish says:

This is a great idea…I’m all for cheap and cute projects!!!! It turned out beautifully!
    Lish @ Imprintalish

56. You’re a genius! I would never have thought to use old leaves! I seriously just threw a bunch of them in the trash last week. Maybe I’ll have to ask my neighbors if I can weed for them? Thanks for the inspiration!

57. lindyharnarain says:

This is amazing! So unique and pretty. I hope you will link this up to my Wickedly Creative Halloween Ideas Party if you haven’t already.

58. Pingback: Happy Hour {3} Link Party Features | Crafty Scrappy Happy

59. homastyle says:

Thank you so much for linking to Homa Style’s No Orange Autumn Display Link Party. Your pumpkin my favorite on the internet or anywhere!!! Will you be able to keep it for years to come? You have me combing the forest ground and so far all I have to show is a pile of curved sticks! I was very excited to show it to my readers. Homa Style will be hosting a Simple Holiday Handmade Gift Idea Link Party {Please no sale items} on Oct 31. Hope to see you there. Thanks again!

One other idea is raffia … maybe you could get a similar look! So glad you like the pumpkin. I am hoping to keep it until I manage to inadvertently crush it. :)

60. Pingback: Goodwill Chair, Brimfield, and Fabric Flowers | Bonbon Break

61. Heidi says:

Fantastic idea! My weekly linky party–One Creative Weekend–has gone spooky this week in honor of my thirteenth party. If you haven’t already, I hope you’ll visit “One Creative Weekend” on OneCreativeMommy.com (open every Fri-Wed) and link up this idea and anything else you’d like to share. (You can include non-Halloween posts as well, but feel free to link up as many Halloween-themed posts as you like.) There are two categories—one for Halloween and one for everything else.

62. It turned out so pretty! I love natural elements used in decor. :)

63. Pingback: Craftaholics Anonymous® | 18 Awesome Halloween Crafts & Tutorials

64. Mindy says:

Came from Craftaholics Anonymous – love the lights inside!

65. Debbie says:

I forgot to pin this, not that I live anywhere that Palm Trees grow, but I do have a few small ones in my home…maybe in 20 years when they are big enough I can create this absolutely awesome pumpkin!!
    Thanks,
    Debbie :)

66. Pingback: Portraits, Chalkboard Mugs, Money Shots & Snowglobes | Bonbon Break

67. Love it, Karah! I’m not a fan of the rafia option, so I guess a visit to collect materials is required. haha! I’m going to include a link back in this week’s DIY Fall Festival highlights. Thanks so much for sharing! :)

68. Pingback: DIY Fall Festival – Natural Fall Decor Craft Highlights | | DIY Show Off ™ - DIY Decorating and Home Improvement BlogDIY Show Off ™ – DIY Decorating and Home Improvement Blog

69. Kim says:

I LOVE your pumpkin. In fact, I actually have pumpkin envy as I WANT your pumpkin!

70. Pingback: Upcycle plastic bottles, magazines, mason jars and sweaters | Bonbon Break

71. Pingback: halloween crafts {coconut candy corn} - the space between

72. Pingback: month in minutes {september 2012} - the space between

73. Pingback: My Other Post is a Broomstick… {quick +simple nature craft}

74. Eileen says:

wonderful imagination on this one. Great pumpkin!!

75. Pingback: Top 10, crafts, diy, tutorials, holiday

76. Pingback: DIY Fall Decor: Fall Pumpkin Craft

77. michelle says:

pretty awesome!!

michelle plakas-kaiser, mehlingen, germany

78. Judy says:

Wish i had palm fronds…would so loce to make this! It’s really cool. Great craft. HUGS

79. Monica says:

Oh my goodness- yes my mouth was open when I scrolled down and saw your material list :) — I am impressed and I live in Florida with a backyard full of palms! Thanks for sharing! Making some for our Thanksgiving table –

80. Pingback: who the heck are you? - the space between

81. Pingback: what a difference a year makes the space between

82. Pingback: Fall Decorating with Natural Elements

83. Pingback: one of the easiest pallet projects ever - the space between

84. Pingback: 29 Pumpkin Tutorials

85. Pingback: A Variety Of Pumpkin Crafts | Rustic Crafts & Chic Decor

86. Pingback: Primp Your Pumpkin Features and an Announcement! - Mom 4 Real

87. Diana W. says:

That is truly inspired! You definitely have vision and creativity plus maybe a deep longing for a pumpkin! Strong work.

88. Carol says:

This is just brilliant and beautiful! I’m going on a palm frond hunt!

89. Pingback: Off the Vine Pumpkin Crafts

90. Pingback: this year's out of the blue pumpkin craft {from a toy we all know and love} the space between

91. Pingback: A House Full of Pumpkins