blog room organization

So, last I left you in the living room and we were looking like this.
old door

And, I’ll give you one guess as to what it looks like today.  :)

Yep, exactly the same with a little more dust.

See, I have no issue leaving one room totally midstream to shift gears.  I probably should finish up in there, because the fab new striped rug really doesn’t go with those couches. I’m still in shock about that.  ;)

But, once again, I’m going function over form. For now.

I did make a little drop off at the laundromat this morning that I’m hoping will one day be my couch solution.  Let’s just say the sewing machine is coming out in September and I’m more than a wee bit skerd!  You know I’ll keep you posted. :)

Now, do you want to see something that might make you skerd?
blog room

Wait?!  What?! Did you just see that?  Yikes.

Yeah, that’s the room right off of the living room and what has slowly but surely turned into my craft/project/storage/etc space.

What we’ll now be calling my Blog Room. :)
blog room

I am so happy to have the space.  It’d be weird glue gunning from bed.  ;)

And, I came back from our little US trip motivated.  Motivated to get Or. Gan. Ized.  Amen!

I came home with a new computer, a new camera, and a hot mess of a blog room.  And so many things swirling in my head that I want to accomplish and … a hot mess of a blog room. ;)
blog room

And here’s the thing.  I’ve mentioned it a few times here on the blog.  I’m 36.  I live on a Caribbean island with my perfect little family.  I don’t ‘work’.  I really can do whatever I want, whenever I want.

I don’t take that lightly.  And I sure as h-e-double-hockey-sticks am not going to take it for granted.

So … if I want to continue to grow the blog, learn how to use my first DSLR camera and have as much time for tennis and hiking and coffee and happy hour with my friends as possible … I need to get serious.
blog room

Lucky for me, I adore organization.  I don’t know about you, but I can take a whole day to tear apart a room just to put the-new-and-improved version back together again.  And with the help of some music enjoy most every minute.

So I’ve been moving every. single. piece. of whateverness that is in that room and finding a home for it.

And you know that point in something like this.  Where it looks so much worse than when you started, but you see the light at the end of the tunnel, and you pray that your husband doesn’t come home right. that. second. because you know he won’t see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Yeah, that was pretty much where I was here.  :)
blog room That little gray blob of I’m-not-showing-you-this is an unfinished project that isn’t ready for airing just yet.  :)

Can you see it?  The light at the end of the tunnel?  The work spaces I will now have?  The organization of all of the little bits?

I CAN TOO!!!

Now, this is just the tip of the Blog Room … so to speak.

The week of September 10thwrite it down – I’m getting together with a few of my fellow organizing fanatics and we’re tackling some of our biggest organizational challenges.
blog roomSo, tell me, what are your organizing tips?  How do you stay on top of it all?  Do you love to go through every last little tiny bit of everythingness when organizing a room?  Or are you a ‘just toss it in the closet’ type of organizer?  Do tell!

And, if you want to see how I added book pages to the outside of my filing cabinet to spruce it up you can see that here. (clearly I never got to the inside)

And, you can get all of the deets on the old message center with a cork board, chalkboard, dry erase board and pin board here.

Tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

23 Responses to blog room organization

1. Nicole says:

My favorite organizing tip is to get cute containers! I’m more likely to put something away if I am going to put it in something cute just because I want to use the thing that I love!

2. Looks like you have your work cut out for you!! But i’m sure you will do something amazing with it, can’t wait to see! :)

3. Does shoving things under the bed count as organizing?

4. Zoe says:

Going paperless was the best thing I ever did as it got rid of the need to file huge wads of stuff.
    So glad to see you are not scared of sharing “real” pictures on your blog. Gotta love a mess http://www.creativeinchicago.com/2011/05/painted-paneled-basement-revealed.html

5. I’m super jealous. I want a blog room!

6. You have a “blog room”???….I have a lap top and a chair..maybe that’s my problem!…I can just imagine what this room will look like after you work your magic….and a backdrop?…now I know that it will be awesome…Can’t wait to see your on-going projects on this room….Have a great weekend!!!

7. I can relate to this, Karah–i have what I euphemistically call my laundry/craft room that has a table piled so high with crap that I can’t find anything–yikes. I need to get organized, so will enjoy looking in on your organizing tips coming up in the next few weeks. Thank you for stopping by my blog for a visit today–it was nice to hear from you!

8. Debbie says:

Yay! Looks like my office/craft room, I mean whole house :)
    Have a great weekend!
    Debbie

9. Kristy Rohm says:

HAHAHA…this is soooo me!!! About once every 2 weeks my workshop gets the same treatment…I move jewelry findings around, relabel bins, you name it, I do it!!! Love the fact that someone else loves it as much as me! Can’t wait to see your finished project!

10. You will get there girl! Looks like you have a lot of stuff for good projects in there! I’m the type to go through it all and see what the heck I have, but mainly just because it always irks me when I go out and buy something and then I realize I had it stashed away somewhere. I also have a label maker that I adore, but now I’m just sounding OCD so I should probably just stop. :)

11. You do have a phenomenal life, so it’s good to know you appreciate it:) Now just to get the blog room done and you can rule the blogosphere! Promise to be a benevolent queen, okay?

12. cassie says:

i was planning on doing some organizing this week, but life had other plans! maybe next week. you can do it, friend!

13. My favorite tip is, a place for everything, and everything in its place (we’ve all heard that one before!)… but if the systems aren’t established, than that saying is toast! Seriously though, my best tip is to organize in zones, just like a primary classroom. Put things where they make sense and where you are most likely to use them. Make it easy to access them, and put them away again. Use your vertical space, and don’t use its height as an excuse not to get up there. Have a stool or fold-up step ladder handy. Don’t fight your style or tendencies, instead work with them and use them to your advantage. So like Kelly asked, does throwing things under your bed count? You bet it does. But maybe have bins under there to slide in and out so you actually access the tossed stuff! See where I’m going… it’s all about creating systems that work for you, and not making them complicated or based on someone else’s style. Do what works… except for saying that any excuse is a good excuse. That one doesn’t help you stay organized! Can’t wait for your Back to Basics organizing week!

14. Janet says:

I love the way you blog, funny lady. I’ve put up “before” pictures of my blog/craft/sewing room, from about a year ago. Progress has been made but it’s maddeningly slow. My body, for reasons not fully understood yet, only lets me do anything resembling work for 5-10 min. depending on good day/bad day and sitting/standing. I’ll have to take another dreadful picture of “underway” soon, lol.

15. Roeshel says:

Love the before pictures, Karah. My entire house looks like that right now. And yes, as soon as this apartment renovation is done (seeing the light at the end of the tunnel on that project), then I will be making an even bigger mess to put my neglected house back together. I’m actually looking forward to it! Can’t wait to see more!

16. You are so right about “it has to get worse before it gets better”! I’ve long maintained the truth of that to others who walk in on the middle of the worse. Looking forward to seeing your better….

17. Pingback: the space between | month in minutes {august 2012}