Tomorrow you will be 5. And as I sit here hundreds, if not thousands, of miles away, here is what I wish for you. That you…
- at the end of it all, have no regrets.
- take chances.
- have the opportunity to compete fiercely in something that you genuinely love. And I hope you win, because losing sucks, but losing is no reason to not give it another go.
- find a love that knocks you off your feet.
- white-American-male, for at least one day, feel like a minority … and learn humility, compassion and acceptance from the experience.
- learn another language at a young age. It’s so much harder as an old lady … not that you’ll ever be an old lady … well, I guess that is a possibility in this day and age … and would be totally fine.
- feel loved at all times.
- one day, sit in some bar, in some far off place, with a group of people who don’t really know you, and can feel right at home.
- makes friends with people who aren’t like you.
- study harder than I did. Education truly is the key to riches. Not money riches … life’s riches.
- find your passion.
- have dreams and goals. And aren’t afraid to follow them … no matter what.
- find a reason to laugh everyday.
- hug people when you meet them.
- learn how to water ski at Peabody Pond.
- aren’t afraid to fly … there’s a vast, vast world out there that will be a better place with you in it.
- appreciate animals. Well, I think this is a given with your heritage, but worth noting all the same.
- make friends easily.
- help those less fortunate however you can.
- volunteer every now and again.
- are not afraid of tears because real men do cry, do wear pink and can dance to a slow song. No matter what uncle Joel says about the dancing thing.
- support a cause dear to your heart and have purpose beyond yourself.
- hope for something with all of your heart. Now, let’s hope it all works out, but if it doesn’t, I hope you realize that you will be just fine anyway.
- eat cake.
- play in the rain.
- exercise enough to keep yourself feeling healthy.
- find a house, make a home, are smart with money and live happily ever after.
(See that totally in focus knee?!?! #needtopracticephotographySTAT)
You are in my heart everyday, my soul since I knew you to be and in my life forever. May your days be filled with fun, your life filled with love and your heart filled with kindness.
Love, Auntie K