foto friday 9 {curacao staycation}

I admit it, I really am spoiled.

Living on a Caribbean island with all of the free time a girl could ask for really is just crazy talk.  Especially when I take the time to remember we were chin deep in 3 house renos just a few years ago.

And to say that I am soaking. it. up. like there is no tomorrow is the understatement of the century!  Seriously!  And that’s the 20th century.  The 21st century is young yet, there are sure to be many more understatement opportunities.  :)

So, when I have the perfect excuse to play like it’s 1999 on this here island, I take it fo’ sho’.  And you will most likely find us at any of these spots at any given time…

Like chillin’ at the top of Mt. Cristoffel, the highest peak in the whole of the Netherlands at an impressive 375 meters.  ;)

Which is sure to be followed by a stop at one of our favorite local beaches, Playa Forti.
 Where we enjoy the views for just a quick sec …
 … before we jump the 43 feet into the clear blue sea.  See how I switched from metric just to mix you up a bit?  ;)
And, as our visitors who have joined us for the jump can attest, it takes MUCH longer to hit the water than you think it’s going to.  Like, you hold your breath, then realize you haven’t hit yet.  So you take another breath, and realize you haven’t hit yet.  Then you check out the view because you still haven’t hit yet, and really, what else can you do at this point?  And then you hit.  :)

We survived!

And after the plunge we often do some snorkeling at Playa Lagun.

And then relax at their beach side bar for a few cervezas.  Where we totally got creeped up on by this guy.
Look at that back foot making it’s move …

And the day wouldn’t be complete without a stop at Landhuis Daniel for a Dutch pancake. Which somehow I didn’t take a picture of.  :(

Picture it, it’s thinner than a typical American pancake, thicker than a crepe, and as big as a regular size plate.  You can order it with anything on it, I get apple and bacon, Joel gets bacon and cheese, we’ve tried tomato and pesto, too.  And you eat it with powdered sugar and Dutch syrup, which is a little thicker than American syrup, but not as thick as molasses.  This is beginning to sound like a game of 20 questions.  Is it bigger than a breadbox?  :)

I know, it sounds gross but it’s total awesomeness.  Really!

Oh, and, as a side note, living outside of the US, I am a total convert and think the world should be metric, it just makes sense.  And as another aside, the world IS on the metric system … just not the great ol’ US of A.

I hope you all have a wonderful weekend in your land of yard sticks and thick pancakes with Maple syrup.  YUM!  :)

To check out previous foto fridays you can go here, here, and here.

Comments

Umm two things – I’m Canadian & supposed to love metric BUT I HATE IT!!! I’ve managed to adapt to temperatures & speeds, but inches & feet will be with me forever…

I love that you’re jumping off cliffs but it reminded me of my mother whenever I asked for something she didn’t want me to have or do: “If all your friends jumped off a cliff, would you do it too?” So, no, I would watch you jump, I would rush to your aid if you got in trouble, but I would NOT jump with you! lol

xox
    ps iguanas give me the creeps…

Ahhh…..sigh…..Karah…..you have it rough! What a wonderful view and jumping into that blue water.

Amazing.

Thanks for a wonderful foto Friday!

:) me

3. Jayne says

LOVE..LOVE..LOVE.. Am so happy you are enjoying your Island Adventure!!! Miss hanging with your and Joel, but everytime I read your blog, it’s like we are sitting together sharing a drink!!

One of my girls did a huge jump into the water a couple of years ago – it took about 30 minutes before she actually worked up the nerve to jump! I, on the other hand, stood by and watched! You go girl – it looks like a blast – especially into that beautiful blue water.

Those pancakes sound amazing – but after all, anything with bacon is amazing!! Save one of those for me, along with a few cervezas!

5. Nancy Carr says

Love the iguana pics. I take pictures of them here in Puerto Rico also. You have a wonderful camera. Will you let me know what you use? Thank you. Nancy

I’m looking out my window at chilly and gray and so very much wishing I was jumping into that gorgeous blue water (though I’m scared of heights) and would even put up with that creepy dude at the bar as long as my drink was sporting and umbrella!

* sigh *

You’re living my dream.

This is just too much! Stop torturing me with all this gloriousness. Thanks for sharing the beauty with us. Your images took me away on a mini-vacation! Now I’m off to read about the signs!

I love swimming and being in the water, but OMG, I could NOT jump 43 feet! YIKES! I’d be thinking about all the ways I could hurt myself or die on the way down! Otherwise, life in Curacao looks totally like my cup of tea – even that big lizard looks pretty awesome :-)

I just love all of those saturated colors! I hope you don’t put powdered sugar and syrup on the tomato and pesto pancake!

Wow. Now I could live like that. Looks heavenly. Your photos are beautiful. And on another note, did you make your own social media buttons? They’re adorable. Thanks for linking to Project Alicia!

• says

Hi Alicia! Thank you so much for coming by. I did make the social media icon buttons myself, I’m so glad you like them. If you google social icon images there are a ton to choose from. So the actual hand drawn icons themselves I did not personally make. I just picked the ones I liked best that I found online, made them all the same color and then used the polaroid frame option in picmonkey to add the description. Thanks again for the comment. :)

This was one of my favorite islands in the Carribbean. Such lovely water, and luscious shots. Makes me want to visit. Your lizard shots are amazing!

Um, to say those photos are amazing is an understatement. I wish I could be in yor shoes right now, girl! {visiting from liveAndloveoutloud}