imperfection is the new black

Seriously.

I mean, who’s into perfect anymore?

Well, I’m sure there are many out there.  But not this girl.

Is there really any better way to set yourself up for disappointment…than to expect perfection?

For starters, I would never be living in this house.  Oh, how you are imperfect…let me count the ways.  But let me only point out the tile…oh the tile of which you have an abundance.

But what was it that someone once said…where ever you are, I am home…or, my favorite thing about my house is who I share it with…or, as long as we’re living here together I can overlook the tile…it was something like that.  ;)

And it really isn’t about the structure, or even the things in it, is it?!?

Oh, if it were about the perfection of the things…

I would probably shudder at the sight of that silly, un-level driftwood shelf in my new one screw gallery wall every time I walked in the room.
 Or, I might have finished re-upholstering that chair by now…8 years later.
Or, I might not have gotten disproportionately excited when I bought these hideous couches for $65 for the pair.
I can’t even tell you how hard it is to find “American” sized furniture for a reasonable price on an island.

As an aside, if you’re looking for perfection, definitely don’t move to a Caribbean island…I know some people who learned that lesson the hard way.  Please refer back to that comment I made earlier…something about the expectation of perfection = surefire disappointment.  :)

Now, I have to give a shout out to the Nester for the idea of Celebrating the Imperfect with a link party.

And, in contemplating her idea, I realize, that through my never-ending search for a steal deal, my need to find ways, albeit more difficult or time consuming, of doing things that hardly cost me anything, and my complete and total aversion to keeping up with the Jones’, I live in a space full of imperfections.

And that, my friends, suits us absolutely perfectly.  :)

I crack my knuckles, I shave as infrequently as possible, I don’t clean as often as I should. I overlook dog hair everywhere on the couch, I leave unfolded, clean laundry lying around for days, I love to swear.

I often waste time, I don’t keep in touch with people I love, I am not nearly as involved with my nieces and nephews day-to-day lives as I’d like to be.

I am emotional, often times erratic and sometimes just a plain ol’ pain in arse.

But just call me Ellen because “I want to be clear and here are the values that I stand for. I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you want to be treated, and helping those in need.”

Everything else…in all of it’s imperfection…is just gravy.  :)

Comments

I’m right there with ya sista!! perfection is for others…not me! we share all of the above…but I don’t crack my knuckles…I crack my toes!!

2. andrea cammarata says

well it looks like we share something for sure! perfect is something i know i NEVER was and NEVER will be!!!! lol!!!! i crack my knuckles and toes! : ) lol!!! hugs…

“I shave as infrequently as possible, I don’t clean as often as I should. clean laundry lying around for days” this is totally me too! oh and i have tons of imperfections in my home for sure…it will NEVER be perfect… c’est la vie!

I kind of think you sound perfect! That very descriptive list of your imperfections feels very familiar to me. haha And anyone who has an unfinished chair for 8 years is a friend of mine!

5. Dana @ Cooking at Cafe D says

Love the couches – and I love the unfinished chair after 8 years. I supposed rather than my “over-caramelized” cinnamon rolls, I could have done decor. If Nester holds another party, perhaps I’ll show the ceiling which has gone half painted for a decade. I just stopped mid stroke on day and never finished. *eyeroll*

6. Sue says

Karah, Love your way of thinking re: perfection. Alas, I tend to be a bit anal about it for most things. Why only today, I finished painting my desk for the third time! LOL I kept messing with it because I had a few “imperfect” spots. I succeeded in only making it worse each time I played with it. Aagghh…… I think I’m satisfied now. Now about all that laundry that needs to be ironed and is still sitting on the bed, the ironing board, and the floor- hmmmm… Guess I’ll have to get to it when I can. It’s upstairs in the spare room and the door Is closed- out is sight, out of mind! LOL. thanks so much for visiting today. I look forward to reading more of your posts. :-) Sue

I agree. I do the majority of my home improvement projects and doing everything perfect was never one of my goals. My home is perfectly imperfect in my opinion and that’s the way I like it.

I just found your blog. I saw your awesome couches, and i know your secret! Ive had them in red AND green! But i dont have to buy them…I live vicariously through DIYers because I live overseas and can only paint my walls, no other changes. I move every 2-3 years and have no fixed abode. So I am enjoying your adventure.

9. Becky says

YES! Imperfection is the new black which is the color of my ugly 2 drawer file cabinet. Your inspiration of DIY will turn this eye sore into pretty and useful. Ta-da!
    b