thrifting {goodwill}

Hello, hello!  And happy Monday to all you fine folks.  I’m checking in with a little gallery wall update.  Yay!

If you are new here and don’t know of this gallery wall I speak, you may want to start here and then here.  And then when you’re done laughing at my idea you can read on.  :)

I did actually get started on making some things happen as they relate to the wall last week.  And man, did it feel good.

Do you ever go through extended periods of time not doing anything crafty and then when you do a little project you get all re-motivated to turn your sheets into a bed skirt and stuff like that?

Well, that is a project for another day, but here is what I have been able to accomplish in the realm of “I Might Be Screwed (Just Once), A Gallery Wall Experiment” projects.

Remember these beauties from Goodwill?
“Ooh la la” now looks like this.

And those matching flower canvases are becoming this.

I’m not sure what I think of all of the billowing, maybe I pulled it too tight.  Anyone have any thoughts?

And who can forget the horses and the cross stitch?
 Those frames painted up quite nice.  And that lavender mat got a fresh coat of paint, too.

Oh, and I drilled some holes in this guy…

And, uh, well, that’s about it.  :/

So, nothing has been hung, but things have been painted and drilled and un-stapled and re-stapled.

It felt like progress, even though the wall still looks like this.

At least it’s becoming a collection of good looking things.  I just hope I can get them all hung by my one little screw.  Or, my challenge post might turn into a tutorial on how to paint frames and flip canvases.  :)

Either way this is a fun little challenge.   Have you joined in yet?  One more week for us all to wrap things up.  Then let the link partying begin.  It’s not too late to get in on the fun, just leave a comment here with your challenge project!

the space between
And don’t forget to check in with my partners in Impossible crime to see what they’ve been up to!  Linda from It All Started With Paint, Kari from Thistlewood Farm, Stacey from A Sort of Fairytale, Kelly from Eclectically Vintage and Andrea from The Cottage Market.
Our BIG project reveals are coming next week and our SIX link parties are on Tuesday, January 31st. It’ll be so fun to see the results of everyone’s hard work.
Update:  You can see the big reveal here.
How is your project coming along.  Comment with your progress post links if you’ve got ‘em.  I’d love to see what you’ve been up to!
I am sharing this project here, here, here and here. Check ‘em out!

Comments

I choked on my coffee when I saw the cross-stitch picture. I made one like it, different hair colors, almost 20 years ago. I just donated it to Goodwill a few weeks ago!

Karah, any little progress is progress….I’ve been playing around with my gallery wall for a few months now, so I can’t wait to see yours so I can get back on track. Thanks for the peek. (smile)

Progress is progress! Great job moving this project along.
    I bought all of our fabric and read over (about a 1000 times) the tutorial from Allison on House of Hepworths this weekend. Bring on the sewing machine!

Did you stretch the billowing canvas yourself? If not it probably stretched when it got damp with paint.

If you can get to the back you can shove some wood or cardboard in-between the canvas and the frame to help pull it taunt again. Kind of wedge it along the edges if that makes sense.

Sometimes heating it with a hairdrier and then letting it cool will shrink it back taunt again too. Just depends on what it is made of.

Looking good, can’t wait to see the ending!

I love the idea of re-painting canvas!
    Looks like your getting a good handle on the prep work. Looking forward to your wall!

(We have a gallery wall we need to get up, too. But, first I need to find the in-progress pics of our Jimmy john’s kitchen…which seem to have gone *poof!* Tons of pics on how we did our faux tile, just gone. Grrr.)

I have two things to say! First I can not wait to see how you solve your problem! Please hurry up – I am dying of curiosity over here!

Second – thank you so much for inviting me to play and to take on the challenge of learning to do something i have been convinced i could not do!

Imagine the Impossibilities! Brilliant challenge – really.

Goodness me! Everybody’s been so busy – and all I’ve managed to do is fight off a small ginger cat and make what appears to be a yamulka for a small squirrel! Hey ho. Are you doing thisagain next mo,th – I think I have another impossibility to tackle (Looks across at enormous pile of papers that needs sorting and signs heavily.)

• says

Hahaha! Progress is progress, right!?! We are definitely going to continue this challenge, but not every month. Tackling our most daunting tasks every month sounds a little TOO daunting. :) But we might have another idea up our sleeve for next month…

Well I was originally planning on creating a very “Imagine the Impossibilities” challenge post. My challenge? Baking pretzels! However life always seems to get in the way and actually threw me a much more “Impossibly Possible” challenge! Along with it came the need to renovate our whole home in only 9 months! Feel free to check out my first post on the subject as I unveil the surprise and the journey that goes along with it!

I so enjoy following this journey!! I hope it all works out. I’ve got to admit, I’m a little bit nervous ;-). Just kidding!! I’m keeping the faith!

Thanks for linking up!

Karah! I just found your blog and your challenge is awesome! I had to read this post twice to figure out what was going on. You are hilarious! I’m a new follower now, just so I can find out what your possibilities result in! I would love if you would consider linking this up to my “Drab to Fab” Link Party this Friday :) The theme is turning the ordinary into extraordinary using a little creativity. This post embodies that concept, so I know my readers would love to see it! Here’s a link for more info on the party.
    Hope to see you Friday!

For the “billowing” canvas – try painting the back of the canvas. As an art student, they taught us that to remove smaller dents and stretched places. It may not work for billows as large as yours, but it’s worth a try! I’m looking forward to seeing your one screw creation!
    -Revi

Thank you for linking up with me Karah! Have a great week! I hope you’ll come back again next Friday and share more of your great ideas. (They can be old or new). I love your work!

Would have loved to have seen the folks in the store checking out that assortment of ohh la la etc.! lol They would never dream your final efforts would look so fabulous!